Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pedal cluster removal

pedal cluster removal

When removing the clutch cable clevis at the cluster I have disconnected the pin retainer and I now need to remove the clevis pin. Does it punch out on the drivers side of clevis? I have finally figured out my clutch issue ( I think ). My clutch pedal has some play side to side leading me to believe my pedal cluster bushing is bad. I don't want to punch on something a damage anything.

Cancel, I got it. That was easy. I just didn't wanna punch something through without being sure.
    Last edited by Bob Harriman; 11-18-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Bob:

The clevis pin attaches to an arm on one side with a collar on the other end that snaps over the clevis. You should be able to pop the collar off and rotate it upwards, using it as a lever to pull the pin out of the clevis. If it's frozen and you need to punch it out, it will be obvious once the collar end is popped off and rotated upwards. My back hurts just thinking about doing that job -- good luck!
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Are they difficult to rebuild?

Assume you mean pedal assembly. No, buy a kit (bronze bushings) and make drawings or take photos as you disassemble making note of how the large spring attaches. The kit actually comes with a drawing. A little daunting the first time, but it's pretty logical as you get familiar with it. Clean and paint black metal base and pedals. Not sure if bushings need lube, but I lightly lube with white lithium grease or similar. Give it a try, it's not bad at all -- like a puzzle that can only go together the right way.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

hardest part is removing the roll pin.

member #1515
    I suggest you have someone press the roll pin out and then have the new one pressed in. It's very awkward to hammer a new one in although I did using a drill bit to keep it in place.
    The rest is a piece of cake.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I'm gonna buy a rebuilt one and trade mine as a core. I've heard the springs are a RPI. This should address my clutch issue as my clutch pedal bushing was bad. Not desinagrated, but too much slop side to side.

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I suggest you have someone press the roll pin out and then have the new one pressed in. It's very awkward to hammer a new one in although I did using a drill bit to keep it in place.
    The rest is a piece of cake.
    Would a roll pin punch help?
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

Quote Originally Posted by dummkopf View Post
    Would a roll pin punch help?
    I do not know what a "roll pin" punch is I have only used the punch's from my Snap-on/blue point set. The problem is they rust, corrode in and the roll pin is rolled up very hard sheet metal that can not be drilled out easily like a common roll pin. They will punch out and drill out and cut out with a torch. That is where the fight will be if there is any re-bushing the pedal cluster.

yes - it would help a lot