Thread: Newb with some Newb questions & a few problems

Newb with some Newb questions & a few problems

I recently purchased a '71 E with a 2.2T engine. It had been sitting for several years. When I brought it home, I changed the oil, and replaced some vacuum lines, but am having some difficulties with the carbs. The engine seems to idle fine, but once I start giving it some revs (doesn't matter if Im in gear or not), it is difficult for the revs to come back down to idle. Example: If I give it some gas while sitting in neutral, the engine will rev up fine, but if I go over 2500 RPM or so, the engine seems to stay, sometimes accelerate on its own, and take a while to come back do idle.

There is an aftermarket fuel PSI gauge, which showed PSI at 9. There was a "clamp" type regulator device on the rubber fuel line beside the gauge. I loosened it so the fuel gauge read 3.5-4 psi at idle. This seems to make no difference.

I am wondering if this is a fuel pump problem. I have no idea if the original engine had MFI or carbs, and if it is the original fuel pump or not. Its seems to be a random mix of parts (all over the car). I did remove the carbs (Zenith) & replace a few main gaskets & accelerator pump diaphragms, but there was no difference.

Other notes:
    -The engine will smoke on startup sometimes, but if I remove the airbox (with the overflow oil lines to the box) it doesn't seem to smoke.
    -The distributor cap clips were loose, and the cap wasn't on tight. I was able to "bend" the clips back slightly so the cap sits on tight, but it appears the cap/rotor may have taken some abuse in the past from being lose, so will need replaced.
    -Condition of plugs/wires are unknown, but don't arc in the dark or appear to be horribly bad, but will need to be replaced (along with cap/rotor).
    -The 2 batteries were missing, but a weak normal car battery was present.

I know that may be difficult to follow, but can anyone help a newb out?

Best guess is that either the timing advance isn't returning due to crusty old distributor (check with timing light) or it will have to do with the by-pass emission circuit on your Zenith carbs. It is more than can be explained here easily, you'll really need to get copies of the circuits from the shop manual. I could probably send you copies if it comes to that. It can also be vacuum leaks, high float levels, sticky throttle cross bar.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.