Thread: front bumper 1970 911E

front bumper 1970 911E

Hi,

This may be a silly question. The bumper on my 1970 911 E is in two pieces. The main piece is the steel bumper that is the width of the car with the rub strip and bumper horns. The second piece is a rubber / plastic piece that looks a little like a chin spoiler and has small opening on the front lower side like a 911S. I have tried to look this part up in the parts book and cannot find it. The rubber piece is simply screwed onto the steel bumper with sheet metal screws. Is this normal? I bought the car in 1973, and this is the way that the previous owner had it. It also had a ducktail.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Pictures? Sounds like you are describing a chin spoiler from an SC or something.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Sorry it took so long for pictures!
    Name:  chin spoiler in place on steel bumper.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  79.9 KB

This is the chin spoiler held in place on the steel bumper. Is it part number 911 505 028 00? (from a 1972) or is it part number 911 505 111 25 (from a 1973 Carrera)?

Name:  Center of chin spoiler.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  103.7 KB
    This is the center of the chin spoiler.

At the other end of the car:

Name:  duck tail.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  76.6 KB

Is this a factory ducktail?

Both the chin spoiler and the ducktail were on the car when I bought it in March, 1973.

Rick

The chin spoiler looks to be fiberglass. Some early 72S spoilers were 'glass but most were steel. Either way it looks like the lower part of an S spoiler as grafted to your T/E bumper. Real duck tails have steel frames with a fiberglass top and are worth big bucks.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

thanks for the responses! as always, the knowledge available on this forum is amazing.

I bought this car in Stuttgart in March, 1973 with the chin spoiler and ducktail on it. The PO also had the correct 2.7 badge on the dashboard and the Carrera decal on the sides of the car. It actually was a stock 911E. It could have been one of the first 2.7 RS clones (in partial appearance only). Performance was E level, with self-leveling struts in the front. Serial numbers and COA confirm stock 1970 E: 9110220528, Engine number 6200830. Karmann built body.

I am just trying to figure out what parts the PO used. I cannot find the chin spoiler or the ducktail in my 1973 parts manual. The ducktail has an aluminum frame, not steel. I do not recall a big after-market parts supply for 2.7 RS parts in 1973 other than the factory in Zuffenhausen. In fact, I do not remember seeing any ducktails on the road in Germany during the time frame 1973 - 1975. So, is it possible that these are really factory parts?

As I am just trying to repair the rust and get it back on the road, I probably will just reattach the chin spoiler after priming and painting the bumper. I do not plan on repainting the topside of the car as it is not rusty. I am not super concerned over authenticity, I just want to determine what I have.

Thanks.

Rick

Thanks.

Rick

Aluminum frame ducktail is likely to be an original part (based on the aluminum S decklid). You'll have to post some detail pictures of the underside to confirm. The RS guys here will tell you if it is real and will know when they transitioned to steel frames.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

There was an aftermarket piece to convert standard bumper to S bumper. It looks like you have one. It's pretty rare.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

I doubt very seriously that there would have been a replica Ducktail available by early 73. Its the real deal.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

detailed picture of ducktail

Here is the picture of the underside of the ducktail:
    Name:  DSCN1013.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  100.3 KB
    the shiny areas are the worn spots (probably put 50K on the car in Europe with the ducktail in place). Magnet does not stick. I do not plan on any restoration on it other than re-glueing the metal fixture in the center and finally washing it when I am ready to drive the car.

Thanks again for all advice on this post and on others!

Rick

That is a very nice factory ducktail!
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute