Thread: Useful info about rectangular mirrors 72/73 ..learned the hard way!!

Useful info about rectangular mirrors 72/73 ..learned the hard way!!

I have an ex USA car 73 MT/E which had all the brightwork blacked out and resprayed from silver to a bone colour (god knows why!!!)

Its a very original car so I am returning the brightwork to shiny and will paint the car again sometime in the future.

In the process I had removed an powerd coated, black but otherwsie perfect, original 72/73 small rectangular mirror and was trying to figure out how to dismantle it so I could get the top stainless part re polished and the bottom re chromed to get rid of the black look.

It consists of 4 main parts.......base, mid section, (pic 2) stainless top and the mirror in its plastic surround (pic 3)

After removing from the car I tried to undo the nut under the base to seperate the base from the mid section only to have the thread break off...no big deal I thougt looks like its screwed into the mid section anyway so can replace.

Next I tried to remove the plastic half sphere from off what was left of the broken thread but wouldn't budge it was hard as a rock after 40 years but eventually managed to get it to twist off. Its there as part of the
    mechanism that allows the mid section to swivel on the base.

Next problem was how to get the glass out...this is where I really went wrong.

I assumed that it was similar to the durant set up and was trying to prise up the outer edges of the plastic not knowing it was a whole plastic piece that pushes into the top section.

What I also didn't know until it was too late was that you need to get completely under the whole plastci piece to lift it up and you can only do that at the corner where the mid section attaches to the top section
    as the plastic surround is cut away (pic 1 it faces down in the top section but I have it up so you can see cutout) at that area allowing a sharp object to be inserted to prize it up

Sadly i finished up with a torn plastic glass holder, a broken mirror (its thick glass too) a broken thread and one totally stuffed mirror now I suspect.

I write this so that anyone else trying what I did may have better luck than me

If you think I can salvage let me know how.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

ouch... that sucks...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Clyde,
    I know it's too late now but I have saved black painted mirrors by the careful use of paint stripper without dissembling.
    I'd say clean it up and see what it looks likes before you cash in. It may look better than you think.
    (I have drilled out the broken studs and replaced them also)
    Have the mirror guy help with the re-installation of the glass, maybe he can do a better job.
    It will look better than most repops IMHO.
    H

I have wondered what that black plastic part looks like behind the mirror. Never knew it is a backing for the mirror. FWIW Clyde, thanks for the object lesson.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    Clyde,
    I know it's too late now but I have saved black painted mirrors by the careful use of paint stripper without dissembling.
    I'd say clean it up and see what it looks likes before you cash in. It may look better than you think.
    (I have drilled out the broken studs and replaced them also)
    Have the mirror guy help with the re-installation of the glass, maybe he can do a better job.
    It will look better than most repops IMHO.
    H
    Harvey

Like most of the blacked out parts on the car the painter had scoured the surface to ensure better paint adhesion unfortunately
    as was the case with this mirror.

So while I destroyed it completely it was pretty mcuh destryed anyway I think well thats what i am telling myself anyway

On another note are those 2 wheels that Michael E sent you for re furb for me far down the line or still a while to go yet??LOL
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Clyde,

You can try to weld a threaded M6 extension on the remains of the bolt and definitely don't throw the plastic seal away. You can't find them except on original mirrors. New mirror glass is pretty easy to get although make sure that the edges are bevelled. If you decide not to use the plastic seal I am interested...I have one mirror without it so no chance to reassemble.

BR, Cees

Happy X-mas