Thread: Stock pistons in nikies.

Stock pistons in nikies.

Hi. I've been offered a set of good Mahle nikasil cylinders but want to know if I can run stock 911E pistons in them, It's a 2.2. I have also read that I may have to have piston squirters fitted due to higher temp and that my stock piston rings may not be up to the job. My other alternative was to look into having the original worn cylinders bored out to 85 and fit new JE pistons but I'm not too sure what the issues are with this configuration either. Please let me have your input. Thanks.

1971 E signal orange
    1969 T canary yellow
    1971 914 Gemini blue.

I'm running 2.2 E PCs on my 68 2.0 with no added piston squirters and stock rings. You will have to make a decision on the cylinders heads though. You will need to machine your stock 2.0 heads if you want to use them with the 2.2 setup. Otherwise you will need to obtain a set of 2.2 heads. Hope this helps.

Are the Rings used in the old 2.2 pistons Nikasil compatible? I believe, but am not 100% sure that there have been issues where the rings can wear or the Nikasil can be damaged.

Gsjohnson, my original cylinders are 2.2, the issue is are my decent pistons comparable with nikies? Chris_seven, your comment is exactly what I have heard, the guy that is cutting my valve seats said that I may need "chrome" rings as stock rings in nikies may create too much friction.

Charles at LN Engineering will know.

Similar Threads

1. WTB: NOS set of 906 pistons
    By pht9 in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 11:36 AM
  2. Looks like Tim has a '68 912 in stock
    By serie1926 in forum For Sale/Wanted: Other Porsche Cars and Parts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2012, 06:30 AM
  3. Used 3.0 RSR pistons
    By Cornpanzer in forum For Sale: 911 Parts