Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genuine Durant Mirror?

Genuine Durant Mirror?

I got this mirror as a OEM Genuine Durant for my 71 but I remember that my old mirror hade the 3 stars but it also said made in Getmany. Is it Ok or is just a good replica?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rino71; 12-06-2013 at 06:45 PM.

I think they all said Germany, is it a large or small?
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

Mine from 68 have the Made in Germany in crescent under the stars
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

I think it's large. Here a picture of a friends.

Paid Member # 1991
    Quote Originally Posted by Rino71 View Post
    I think it's large. Here a picture of a friends.
    The repos are very good. I bought one the seller claimed was OEM and I had to look very closely to be sure it was a repo. I will try to dredge up the earlier thread that did a pretty good job of describing how to distinguish. I am looking at both, right now. Metal thickness is one tipoff.

- MR

Quote Originally Posted by Rino71 View Post
    I got this mirror as a OEM Genuine Durant for my 71 but I remember that my old mirror hade the 3 stars but it also said made in Getmany. Is it Ok or is just a good replica?
    That mirror is correct size for your car, but a repro.

A genuine mirror is stamped made in germany and the 3 stars are deep into the made in germany half sircle. Like this:

Name:  Original large Durant.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  112.0 KB

Older repro can also have the made in germany stamping, or only stars, but the stars are grouped different and outside the half sircle. Like this:

Name:  Old Durant repro.JPG
Views: 764
Size:  71.0 KB

Stampings are the same on both small and large Durants when they are genuine.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

I think you'll find it is one of the ones that are now sold by Porsche in the 'Classic Porsche' range. I have one in its box that I can photo if required.

So does that make it 'original'? or repro? Certainly I think you'd have to say it is OEM. Perhaps 'repro by OEM'?

Mick

Paid Member # 1991
    I will readily confess to not being an expert, so anyone who knows better please feel free to correct me. I too would like to know the truth, and am here to learn as well as (minorly) contribute.

AFAIK, the first three pics are from an original that I recently purchased. The second three pics are from a repop, which I picked up a while ago. As can be seen, the logo stampings are very close. The obvious visual difference is the plastic ring around the glass. I don't know if that is a distinguishing trait, or not. There are also subtle differences in chrome polish and metal thickness. Thanks in advance for authoritative opinions/comments.

- MR
    Last edited by MountainRoads; 12-07-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Paid Member # 1991
    Adding Picture #6 due to five picture upload restriction.

As I said above what I am sure Rino71 has there is a new OEM mirror produced for their Classic Porsche range. See the one I have below that seems identical in all respects.

Clearly I don't think you could refer to these as 'original' - the contemporary manufactured mirrors all had the stars and 'Made in Germany' wrapped around as shown in the posts above. But not sure they are just 'repops' either. Classic Porsche are now re-manufacturing a number of similar items and I think these are going onto top-range restorations (RS panels etc etc) as OEM parts.

The line between 'original/genuine' and 'reproduction' (a term that is not usually used literally, but more as a term for non-OEM/aftermarket or even fake) is not so clear here as it is the original equipment manufacturer who is doing the re-producing.

Hmmm. Discuss…..

Mick