Thread: Suggestions for the following to be addressed for 2014

Suggestions for the following to be addressed for 2014

Chuck, et al in the ESReg hierarchy.

Wouldn't the start of a new year be an appropriate and logical time to address some subjects which are sure to be and probably have been on the minds of many a member for some time now.

I respectfully submit that the following are just some of the more important issues we need to address, and even if we do not resolve them immediately, at least discuss them in depth and give the membership an opportunity to provide input that we might finally act upon.

!. Address the distinction between paid members, registered 'members' and guests, establish equitable tiers / differences for each in the privileges, perks and services enjoyed and accessible by the various categories and publish them in clear, unambiguous language. I submit the time has clearly come when there needs to be a distinction between the various levels of "membership". Considering the recently announced price increase ( latest issue of the ESSES - Vol. 23, Winter 2013 ) I believe we've arrived at the point where we can no longer casually dismiss receiving the ESSES as the only difference between paid full membership and 'registered member'. No matter how good and cool the ESSES may be, when Excellence and Panorama are in direct competition and offer as much as they regularly do, and cost less due to significantly greater frequency of publication to boot, we really should react by adjusting our price vs.services available structure . I submit that it absolutely should cost something for someone to be able to log on and enjoy the full range of experience, wisdom, advise and generosity so selflessly donated by the membership. I submit that to continue the status quo and maintain that " if someone doesn't want / need the ESSES they don't have to be paid members but can continue to enjoy unrestricted access to all other 'privileges' of paid membership is counter-productive, doesn't make sense, especially not economic sense for an entity such as our Registry.

2. Establish clear parameters for the items we require to be displayed in signatures, locations, names etc., to wit, everyone who posts must show a real location, at least a country if other than the US and major city in view of the relatively recent 'internationalization' of the Registry ( not crap like 'North of somewhere' - 'the center of the universe' or some other such nonsense ), real names, as in first and last.

3. Indicate the Registry status of everyone who posts and enters the fray on the various forums…..in other words, I submit that when someone logs on and peruses the various forums, the status of the posters must be prominently visible / displayed, either in the form of color-codeding their name, or an icon to designate their status ( paid, registered, etc. ). I don't believe that constitutes class warfare as has been prepostrously suggested in the past with some outrageous and far-fetched reasoning. I don't think I'm alone when I say that I want to be clear who it is that's asking, or replying or posting, because I further don't think I'm alone when I say that my response may vary according to their status.

4. Address the issue of the significant increase in the amount of bandwidth and discussion about $$$$$$, value, financial implications, " market-level", etc. Yes, I agree that this can be avoided by simply not logging on, just like not tuning in to a TV program you don't wish to watch, but again, I just can't believe I'm alone when I state that I find the recent flood of speculation and endless cliches about establishing "market values" ( whatever the Hell that is in the first place ), blah, blah, blah intensely irritating & pointless. Personally, this is only one of many hobbies I enjoy, pursue and am fervently involved in, and I certainly didn't become a long hood aficionado because I thought I could make a few bucks on them, I just happen to believe they're damned good, interesting & enjoyable little cars with endless possibilities to the joys of ownership, which I love to discuss with other members and Porsche-types. I certainly don't think the subject and discussions about $$$$$ & values should be curtailed or limited, rather, facilitate acknowledging the importance of the economic issue in our passion by establishing a separate forum for it. Separating the financial aspect from the General Info forum would simplify things for everybody and would most likely even increase the amount of 'hits' and participation about the monetary aspect of our hobby, possibly maturing into a potential future area in which the Early 911S Reg. could provide far-reaching influence.

5. These are just some of the points I would like to see discussed, and I'm sure there are other, obscure / pressing issues on the minds of other members. Perhaps those who feel strongly enough about their issues should state them and add them below.

Chuck, it is not my intent to add to your workload, make life miserable for you, nor place you into an uncomfortable position, but given the time of the year and where the Registry finds itself these days, I felt compelled to air some of my concerns and to suggest that maybe other, less troublesome members share my views but simply didn't want to stir the pot…………..I do believe we need to take some action to prepare for a bright, prominent future for the Registry, as well as strengthen our reputation as a first-rate early Porsche 911 community.

Respectfully,

John Z. Goriup
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 01-02-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: correct spelling, syntax and content
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    +1 and subscribed.

I 100% share John's view (and nothing related to the nice comment he made on my article recently )

I would make the emphasis on the Paid/register identification, as most of the FS are coming from the free regsiter users, which from my stand point is unfair, ie making money on the sreg community without giving a bit of money; also have never ending discussion on price etc..
    I will not write here the numerous ideas already submitted on how to make it.

It is not being a segregationist, just find ways to find the money to make this wonderful registry lasting. I will lose my patience some day to pay for others. (I already pay too much taxes in profit of others )

All the best.
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

++1. John, I cold not agree more. With EVERY point. Well stated.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Thumbs up

Thank you John,

I will bring this thread and it's issues up at the Registry monthly meeting this Sat.

Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I agree with John, even though i have not pad this year, but will. I do think proper names, with the nick on the side would be great, location also. I think with all of the scammers out there there would be a better control, at least you know the real name of the guy selling or offering or waht ever it it.
    I also think that new user, do not have the same privelages that an old user, in case of selling or offering, this to avoid scammers.

This is the best forum, to me at least ther is, theres a wealth of information, and extrem knowleged here. I love the stories from the older guys, and there expirences.

IMO
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

Fully agree. Well stated.
    Former Early Registry Member #2065

1973 Silver 914/4 2.0 (sold)
    1986 GP White 930
    1991 Midnightblue Metalic 964 C2
    2003 Artic Siver 996 Turbo X50

Member-1969 Sand 911S
    +1. Access to the wealth of knowledge is worth becoming a member for and increased transparency usually improves online forums.

David

Just renewed my membership !
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

I appreciate the time the OP obviously took to make his suggestions. It's great being a part of something about which people actually care. However, I respectfully disagree with #1, #2 and #4.

#1. A a successful Internet entrepreneur, I recommend that we be very careful about limiting access to any part of this site. I can promise you that if the decision was made to limit access to the forums to paid members only, we'd all soon come to regret that decision. Online communities thrive by attracting a wide and diverse group of people. Forums, specifically, follow this rule. This resource becomes more valuable each day due to the contributions that are constantly being made by forum members. Any action that is taken to limit those contributions will only result in a less valuable resource for us all.

#2. I also disagree here. While many members here do use their real name, most do not. I'm sure everyone has a reason for this. I suppose that if the 911Sreg was seeing ongoing victimization of its members in some way from anonymous posters, there might be an argument to be made for forcing members to use their real names. But that's not the case. I'd actually argue the opposite - that this community is remarkably free of those concerns. For some of us, I suspect that being forced to use our real names might limit our participation here. I know it would for me. It's not about anonymity, it's about privacy. Quite frankly, I wouldn't feel safe having my real name out there for everyone to see and attached to posts of mine that share certain personal aspects of my life that could potentially make me a target. Nothing to hide here. Many of you know my real name and what I do for a living. Some of you have been to my shop and even my house . But if I was forced to give up all privacy here - I'd certainly be less involved.

#4. I also get tired from time to time of the ongoing value discussions. But it's easy to ignore. Nobody is forcing anyone to read a specific thread. I certainly don't think it's necessary to move those conversations to a separate forum. Successful online communities are all about interaction - and the more walls that are put up, the less interaction there'll be.

Just my thoughts. Again, I appreciate everyone's opinion as I hope they appreciate mine. And, to Chuck, thanks for making this great place happen for all of us.