Thread: Cleaning aluminum and mag

Cleaning aluminum and mag

My engine and transmission are out for the winter for minor work and I want to put them back in sparkling clean and then maintain them that way. I'm deagreasing everything manually and still have a dull so so finish. Anyone wish to share tricks to getting both the engine and transmission clean with regular tools and home products (no blasting). I realize they will dull quickly however it will at least go back in nice and clean.
    1968 911T R.O.W. / 68S engine.

I did mine by hand with rags, tooth brushes, and Lacquer thinner. That is the original ground strap as well. Since it shifted fine, I only replaced the flange seals, speedo drive seal and the shifter shaft seal.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Once you clean it, you need to cover it with oil again. Gibbs is one. It would be better to spray it with Tectyl.

Magnesium will rot away in a humid garage.

I had a pair to clean recently. I used spray on oven cleaner (don't let it dry - it has lye in it), and that got an enormous amount of the baked on crud off... I also used a little aluminium brightener (a mild acid) Followed up with Gibbs for storage and they will get Tectyl 506 before being reinstalled.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

I have a 905 Sporto transmission in my garage , not likely to go back in the car , but whats the best way of the storing it , horizontal or vertical ?