Thread: Gauges

Gauges

Here's my latest blog entry. It's all about gauges. btw - The folks at Seattle Speedometer see more damage from attempted customer repairs than they do from normal wear. I think 911 gauges may be too easy to get out of the dash. Ya think?

Name:  Gauge 2w.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  117.3 KB

Richard Newton

They should publish a schematic for the DIY user to diagnose, for example, a busted speedometer, or a broken tach, before going to the time and expense of mailing it back to them for evaluation. What leads users to pry open the can with a screwdriver is the lack of any reliable diagnostic procedures, so we naturally want to pry it open just to look, even though we (subconsciously) know that there are "no user serviceable parts inside."

I am not disagreeing with their (commercial) approach-- it's the right advice for a device that requires an understanding of electrical engineering and physics and specialized tools and equipment that don't really exist anymore: discrete components troubleshooting is no longer taught, it's all been ICs since the 1970s, requiring a logic probe or worse to figure it out. Even Radio Shack got a call from the 1980s saying they want the store back. But against the 'right thing' I offer the reality of the market and the curiosity of the user. . .
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

So, if you pry open one of the dual gauges in the single can, does that make you bi-curious?

One of the interesting points is that the folks at Seattle Speedometer want you to call them before you send your gauge to them. They said a lot of times the problem isn't with the gauge. They can give you some verbal directions about things to check before you remove the gauge and send it to them. You make a good point though about maybe putting some of this on paper for people.

Richard Newton

Whereas it's always very fulfilling to do ones own repair on most everything, I for one am glad that there are still shops that specialize in the repair and refurbishment of things like: transmissions; carburetors; speedometers/tachs/clocks; etc. It would be nice if they'd publish "how to fix it" articles, that would allow the lay-person to do the fix themselves, but I'd be concerned that that may drive them out of business, and then where would that leave those of us who, for whatever reason, would rather have something fixed by a professional? Over the years I've had my Porsche instruments converted from the old incandescent bulbs to new LED bulbs, my speedometer re-geared to account for a change in tire diameter, and other changes and enhancements, that I would not have wanted tackle myself.