Thread: Compressor vs Compressor

Compressor vs Compressor

I'm looking to add a compressor to the garage for various tasks, air tools, sand blasting and small paint projects. I have limited space and need something that will do what I need. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

Craftsman 33gal 165psi portable electric 110v:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-33-ga...1&blockType=G1

&

Kobalt 3.7-HP 60-Gallon 155-PSI electric 220v:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54284-1126-V...r|1&facetInfo=

The pro's and cons:

Craftsman:
    Pro's: Portable, Compact, Quietish, High psi, runs 110v, cheap.
    Con's: Small tank, will it be enough?

Kobalt:
    Pro's: Large tank, quiet, good psi, will do everything I need and more.
    Con's: It's stationary and large, needs 220v (which I don't have in the garage), more maintenance, more expensive.

Anyone have either of these compressors who could shed some light?

Cheers

-Kav.

The Craftsman you're looking at has an oil-less compressor. Move on. You're just asking for problems down the road....

Quote Originally Posted by kav View Post
    I'm looking to add a compressor to the garage for various tasks, air tools, sand blasting and small paint projects. I have limited space and need something that will do what I need. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

Craftsman 33gal 165psi portable electric 110v:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-33-ga...1&blockType=G1

&

Kobalt 3.7-HP 60-Gallon 155-PSI electric 220v:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54284-1126-V...r|1&facetInfo=

The pro's and cons:

Craftsman:
    Pro's: Portable, Compact, Quietish, High psi, runs 110v, cheap.
    Con's: Small tank, will it be enough?

Kobalt:
    Pro's: Large tank, quiet, good psi, will do everything I need and more.
    Con's: It's stationary and large, needs 220v (which I don't have in the garage), more maintenance, more expensive.

Anyone have either of these compressors who could shed some light?

Cheers

-Kav.
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

Larger tank has more capacity, which means shorter duty cycle for compressor. If you have an electrical sub-panel in the garage, you have 220 available. If your garage is attached to the house, you have 220 available. You will have to add a breaker in the panel in either case. I don't know your skill level, but you may need an electrician to install the circuit properly.

Compare tank size, hp, and perceived quality. Compare CFM at 90 psi. Total psi is relatively meaningless spec.

SV

I have both sizes. Both of mine are older, and maybe new technology has changed the comparison.

The little one does okay on little tasks, but even with small air tools, the air pressure runs down quickly and the tools balk. When it come to media-blasting -- especially soda -- the little one just won't get the job done. It will run a small, sears-size portable sandblaster, but big jobs are a problem for its 'endurance.'

The larger one is a major pain to install and to get running, but it will run just about any tool you might want. It can handle long stretches of air hose and enable you to media-blast outside, as well as keeping pressure for a blast cabinet with a large stack of small parts to do.

(You didn't ask this, but since you mentioned sandblasting, I hope that you are talking about a blast cabinet. I just don't think you'll like the result of sandblasting inside your garage.)

So, if you're doing big jobs, like a major restoration, the larger capacity will probably serve you better, but the installation won't be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    I have both sizes. Both of mine are older, and maybe new technology has changed the comparison.

The little one does okay on little tasks, but even with small air tools, the air pressure runs down quickly and the tools balk. When it come to media-blasting -- especially soda -- the little one just won't get the job done. It will run a small, sears-size portable sandblaster, but big jobs are a problem for its 'endurance.'

The larger one is a major pain to install and to get running, but it will run just about any tool you might want. It can handle long stretches of air hose and enable you to media-blast outside, as well as keeping pressure for a blast cabinet with a large stack of small parts to do.

(You didn't ask this, but since you mentioned sandblasting, I hope that you are talking about a blast cabinet. I just don't think you'll like the result of sandblasting inside your garage.)

So, if you're doing big jobs, like a major restoration, the larger capacity will probably serve you better, but the installation won't be fun.
    Yes, thinking of getting the Harbor Freight blast cabinet,

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-c...net-68893.html

heard good and bad things but for $200 and some small modifications you can't go wrong. I do have a sub-panel in the garage and I have looked into adding the 220 outlet which I could handle myself. The large compressor is probably the way to go but I just don't really have a good spot or the space for it. I think I will try out the 33gal and if it's not working out, step up and get the 60gal.

-Cheers!

-Kav

If you want to run a media blaster CFM and tank size.....

Compressors are one of those situations where size really does matter.
    Tony

Like Setho said - don't go for the "oil less" Craftsman. I had one for a while and just gave it away. Very loud with an irritating sound and relatively low output - won't media blast well. strongly suggest the bigger unit. The bigger unit will handle the media blasting and the Harbor Freight cabinet will be fine - get the biggest blast cabinet you can fit. Also, spend a bit of time looking at hook-up details such as dryer. Maybe you get creative on placement - mine is in a loft area.

Bill
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold

If you want to use a blast cabinet none of the low end comps will work. Don't waste your time. You will be very disappointed. Get the CFM info before making a purchase and question the ratings bc they are usually fluffed. We have some very large comps and even our blast cabinet is challenged. You may be better off sending your stuff out for powder coating and let them do the blasting. Good luck.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"