Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The effect of 911E cams in a 2.4 911S engine?

The effect of 911E cams in a 2.4 911S engine?

I was wondering what the effect of 911E cams in a bone stock 2.4 911S MFI engine would be.

- Would this allow for more torque at lower RPMs, or would it really de tune the engine, giving it less (fewer?) horsepower?

- Would using the 2.4 911S MFI engine fuel pump with 911E cams push too much fuel into the engine?

- Would such an engine be better off using a 2.4 911E MFI engine fuel pump, or would this further detune the engine, should the answer to the first point above be an affirmative?

- Would it be better to simply install 911S cams for a purely street driven car?

- Is it very expensive to have camshafts swapped in one of these engines? Approximately how many hours of work?

Thanks for your advice!

This used to be a popular swap for people looking for a more responsive but less peak power engine.

Madness just to swap though if engine is not being disassembled for other reasons.

It would also affect resale value in being not standard.

So, the context of the question is a 911S engine in a "lesser" model (not a 911S). I can't imagine such an engine negatively impacting resale value. Am I wrong? Regarding cams, isn't it true that the E cam makes the car more drivable? I've also heard of a DC30 cam, such is something between the E and S cams. Anyone have any experience with these? How many hour work to swap cams? Is the 911S pump too much for the E cams? Thanks!

Banned
    My first question is always "Why"?

I've driven this configuration and to call it boring would be under stating.

Stick with stock S cams. The whole idea that a stock S cam is "wild" or less than ideal on the street is utter nonsense.

BTW: Expect to pay about $2500 in labor to "switch out" cams.

I'm with Frank on this one. My stock S engine had 'E' cams swapped in during a rebuild back in the '80s.
    First, using a wideband O2 to tune the car, I've found it hard to keep a nice profile.
    Second, it IS kinda boring. Don't we drive these cars for that kick in the pants when the cam comes on around 5K? After all, it's not like I'm running out to get groceries or go to the movies in the S. When I'm driving, it's all about fun and DRIVING baby.
    I've got a set of S cams in my workbench waiting for the swap back into the car. (I've also got a set of 2.2S pistons laying in wait for a compression bump, but that's another topic altogether).
    Next time I have any engine work done the cams will be swapped out.

Just my $0.02

Kent

PS- I disagree about any value ding on having swapped cams. It's just a parts swap and is invisible. The real debate on engine mods and value comes from opening up the spigots to take 2.7RS P/C.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Or you could buy an "E"...

OK guys, I get it. But all I am trying to do is to understand how best to improve what I already have, a 911T engine that was built up from the crank outward to be exactly like a 2.4 911S engine, with Mahle 2.4S pistons and cylinders, heads, and stacks/TBs, but with a 2.4 014 911E MFI pump, and 911E cams. The distributor is also from a 2.4S engine.

I wanted to understand if a 013 2.4S MFI pump would be an improvement to this engine, or if it would be too much for the E cams while I still have them in there.

I wanted to know how much it will cost me to go to 911S cams (thanks. Frank).

I was under the I impression that the 2.4S engine was a box full of empty with the S cams under 4500 RPMs, which was actually improved under 4500 RPMs by the 911E cams. Seems like that was a bogus impression.

Any further advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

You want the pump to match the cams, as the space cam inside the pump is what sets the shape of the fueling curve. The only difference between the pumps of a given year is that fueling map contained in the shape of the space cam. You can use adjustments to shift the curve up and down but not really change its shape. The E cams will provide a flatter air flow curve and so a flatter power curve (more down low, less up top), so it needs the flatter fuel flow curve of the E space cam.

So if you want S cams you really should get an S space cam.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

OK. I am digging through my parts in the garage. I have two sets of camshafts. On set, I believe are straight out of my 911T engine. These are part numbers 901.105.133.0R and 901.105.134.0R. That seems easy.

The other set are 901.105.183.0R and 901.105.110.1R. Does anyone know what camshafts these are? Any help is always appreciated. Thanks!

It's hard to tell based on the casting numbers you posted. Look to see what the stampings are on the end of the cams. There will typically be some indication there.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306