Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ORANGE BAR HOOD EMBLEM... ORIGINAL or NOT???

ORANGE BAR HOOD EMBLEM... ORIGINAL or NOT???

I bought this apparently NOS Orange Bar Hood emblem today at the Lit. Meet. It has a smooth back with R and 901.

Some of the guys say it is not Original for a long hood...

Experts???
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Is that really a smooth back?

I wouldn't call it a smooth back but there are a lot of variations there. the one thing that stands out to me is the first T is as long as the other letters. That is usually (always?)shorter. I learned that late in the game and bought one with a long T that sits in the bottom of my badge box waiting for redemption but it is different on the back from yours. Here are some of my smooth back badges.

Hmmm this is a tough one. Looks very nice, but compared to the original smooth back I'm holding, I see the following
    The back isn't really smooth like the others I've seen.
    The casting on the front side looks a little rough and flawed
    The details on the horse look a little off in that the hooves kind of bleed into the legs, and the horse is overall thicker than the 2 I've got.

I'm not going to vote either way because as we all know there were midstream production changes in just about everything associated with these cars.
    I hope it was a deal! Not sure that there are any deals @ the lit show these days.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by execmalibu View Post
    I bought this apparently NOS Orange Bar Hood emblem today at the Lit. Meet. It has a smooth back with R and 901.

Some of the guys say it is not Original for a long hood...

Experts???
    her is the one on my 73
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Execmalibu

That is not an original pre-74 orange bar badge if that is what you are asking.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

The guy I bought it from is 80 years old? He said he has had it for 40 years??

Here is the one on my original paint 1973 911E produced 7/73 and 10th from the last 911E built...

It looks close to being the same to me?
    Last edited by execmalibu; 03-01-2014 at 02:02 PM.

If you look at the space between leg/hoof, it looks different (I think)
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Possibly as the dies wear out there could be subtle changes... And maybe a new one that has never been installed has slightly more black material that erodes over time. On the front of the car at speed exposed to wind and rain might change the look??

Doesn't wind and rain erode huge mountains?
    Last edited by execmalibu; 03-01-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Im seeing long first T on those badges so that distinction is in the trash can although all my smooth back badges have short first T. There are just too many variations to keep track of. My long t badge gets out of my badge ghetto. When someone says it is not original it would be nice to say why.