Thread: How do you remove the cigarette lighter from the dash??

Saltspring Island, BC Canada & Minneapolis

How do you remove the cigarette lighter from the dash??

I am re-painting the satin black on my 1969 911 dash and have everything out except the cigarette lighter. It isn't just a matter of unscrewing the bezel - there must be a trick and my 911 friend/expert can't remember what it is. Anyone help.....?
    Thanks, Tim

If I recall correctly, from the back, under the dash the lighter housing is held in place by a U-shaped bracket with a nut that needs to be removed. Then your lighter housing can come out the front of the dash.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Thanks, guys. I'll crawl back under and have a better look. Didn't see or feel it this morning but something is holding it in!

Well, there was no U shaped bracket and nut, what I finally figured out was that there is an outer casing that screws into the threaded end of the actual lighter body that holds the lighter tight against the dash, so you need to hold the lighter body from the dash side with your finger inside the socket, and turn the outer housing from inside the trunk and it will simply unscrew and come out from the front. Possibly a MY '69 Lighter only??Name:  cigatltr.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  43.5 KB