Thread: Gas tank custom color match

Gas tank custom color match

So, I had a perfect 40 year old gas tank to make this color from. I took the tank to my auto paint store I get the Glasurit from and had them match it. All the tanks you see in original cars aren't the light grey that we have to paint them now. The SKS Wurth in grey is long gone. So, I found the most persevered area of the tank and had them match the color. I really like it! What do you guys think? I only painted half of this tank in for restoration. I didn't paint or texture this tank it's going to be redone. I only painted half of it with the color I had made up to see what it looked like. Two of the pics are in the sun and two are in the garage. It looks shinny in the garage because of the lights and fresh paint. -Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    72S, 72T now ST

Ok, so I just looked down a few threads and I guess you can get the SKS in grey. News to me as I've check for years. I still like the patina color also though.
    72S, 72T now ST

Nice job, it also matches the garage floor !

Quote Originally Posted by Bavaria911 View Post
    Nice job, it also matches the garage floor !
    lol, classic I didn't see that until now.
    72S, 72T now ST

Looks very close in color to the undercoat on a 73 911 that I am doing. This is a picture of an area cleaned up. The original undercoat looks beige.
    Name:  73S Undercoat.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  81.2 KB

I redid mine with a custom color Surflex - if you call them they know the color to use

that is an old trick from Paterek

OK Scott, that looks really good.
    I need to get the gas tank in my 73 retextured and painted, so I'll be hitting you up on this recipe some time
    later this year.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V