Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: new engine shroud 69S

WTB: new engine shroud 69S

The restoration process has begun on my 69S

Who sells/makes the best reproduction fibregalss engine shrouds, I need one for a 69S (MFI).
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

How about a real one?

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...nal-fan-shroud
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    The restoration process has begun on my 69S

Who sells/makes the best reproduction fibregalss engine shrouds, I need one for a 69S (MFI).
    If you don't purchase Mark's OEM you can get in touch with Damon(SERIES900 here) who makes nice repros (not sure he makes the unique '69S shroud though)

Damon CAN make anything you want. He's done build the best 959 PD replica car I've ever seen. Made all of his own molds for the body panels.
    You should see under the hood. Amazing stuff.

http://series900.com

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I have seen a bunch of shrouds re-produced recently and none of them are exact, most are colored with gel-coat rather than original color infused, no engine builder I have talked to is perfectly happy with the aftermarket versions. Be prepared to fit it to the motor over a couple hours.

I just had this 67S shroud made, it works but it is not exact, at least it is color infused rather than gel-coat. I think it is too hard to do a 100% perfect part unless the price went wayyyyyy up.

Nothing like the original part!

^^^Mark, you did not get that from SERIES900. Have you actually handled one of my shrouds?

Damon, I have seen your stuff in person but I have not installed them on any of my motors yet. You do great work. The one I posted above was done by someone else here in San Diego.

I am not knocking the repros, but I have yet to see one that is exactly like the originals and I don't really like gel-coat for color on the ones that use that process. In the end this piece gets covered up by so many other parts that it becomes a background piece.

My "fake " one, fits and performs like a "real" one. This is one of my shrouds, the one year only 69S , trimmed to carb spec, note mfi mounts and injectors not cut per owners request. Of interest to some, would be the hairy texture of the parts I produce, a detail lost in a restored painted shroud or a "polished" mold from whence other reproduction parts are manufactured. Had quite a quiz session from Pierra Madreas a couple of months ago, wanted to know all about my process. And then there was the tell me your source of materials.... sheesh. I made some parts , they work, and if you like fiberglass, you can make them too. But dammit, it better be a good part. Or you can buy GeeeTeee or fleabay some such, and complain. Or be satisfied that I cared and made the best part I can. Clyde stepped up and purchased and I am sure he will provide feedback. CHEERS, keep fixing and DRIVING these 911's, because eventually YOU will be parked for a very loooooong time.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageExcellen View Post
    Damon, I have seen your stuff in person but I have not installed them on any of my motors yet. You do great work. The one I posted above was done by someone else here in San Diego.

I am not knocking the repros, but I have yet to see one that is exactly like the originals and I don't really like gel-coat for color on the ones that use that process. In the end this piece gets covered up by so many other parts that it becomes a background piece.
    Mark

I have purchased one of Damons parts, I do have the original from the engine, its pretty taty though but thanks for the offer.

I will offer some comments in due course.

What I do hope is that my engine comes out looking like that one in the photo, I am sending my fan parts to Mark Motshagen for his magic touch.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

The white edge kind of stands out. Why not color the resin?