Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (4) NOS MICHELIN XWX 185/70x15 TIRES.. PERFECT ON A SHOW CAR! WHAT ARE THEY WORTH???

(4) NOS MICHELIN XWX 185/70x15 TIRES.. PERFECT ON A SHOW CAR! WHAT ARE THEY WORTH???

I have (4) absolutely PERFECT (no Cracking) what I believe are NOS Michelin 185/70x15 XWX Tires.

From my research online they are NOT the new Coker Reproductions?

They have Tube Type, Made in France, 2 Plies Steel 1 ply Nylon, DOT 133 (13 week of 1973?).

The $460 repro. tires are slightly different are lighter and say made in Serbia.

These original tires are for the LUNATICS (like ME) who absolutely demands 100% Original parts.

I know that these are NOT for driving because of their age. But for a show car that it a trailer queen.

If repros are $460 each, How much are these Original tires worth??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by execmalibu; 03-30-2014 at 03:04 PM.

I bought a set of these exact tires NOS from a fellow PCA member last year for $250 per tire. They were beautiful and perfect when I received them but not so much now. Just starting to show some surface cracking. I wouldn't do it again. I guess they had to begin deteriorating sometime.

If you keep the tires treated with a rubber preservative in a cool and dry area they should stay near perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by execmalibu View Post
    If you keep the tires treated with a rubber preservative in a cool and dry area they should stay near perfect...
    For awhile. But nothing lasts forever. Mine are still very nice but they are just beginning to show some patina.

$1,000 seems like a great deal! Were the NOS?

Usually an original Porsche part will be worth more then a reproduction...

There are always exceptions. IMO these should be less than the Cokers. They are not useable and very few people (judges) would care if these were NOS. Now if these were 185 and 215 CN36s they would be worth a small fortune.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Here in Connecticut, as well as many other states, tire shops will not mount tires that have a "born on date" that's over 10 years old. It's a safety thing as rubber degrades over time.

I would not drive on them,, no way,,, now how. They can be used on a low mileage "show" car and nothing more. My shop will not mount a tire over 10 years old and has advised me when my tires are that age, so they can be changed.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Fryarrds,

That makes no sense?

Why would a "not useable" Pirelli CN36 for an RS be "worth a fortune" while a "not useable" Michelin XWX for a 911 is worth very little?

The standard early 911s get no respect! Even on this site.

At a major show like Pebble Beach many of the cars have original tires that are totally cracked and some almost treadless and they are ALL absolutely unsafe to drive on.

But they are original!

I know and posted that these tires are NOT to be used on a car that is driven.

I have vintage Motorcycles with original tires that are never even started.

This turning into the Original with patina Vs. Restored argument.
    Last edited by execmalibu; 03-30-2014 at 06:00 AM.

No really. Your tires are date coded 1983.