Thread: 73 911 S - throttle linkage from trans to engine - question

73 911 S - throttle linkage from trans to engine - question

Can anyone confirm that the linkage piece shown in the accompanying photo is indeed the correct one for my MFI 73S? Stoddard lists various pieces, but nothing that says 72 or 73 MFI. The one I have seems to match what they offer for 73 CIS - 1983. My engine builder says it is wrong and that what I have is for a 356/912...says I need one with the 'curve' in the center to clear the half shaft. It's an $80.00 part and I don't want to order something I already have. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The straight one is 72-73. The one with the curved section I believe is 69-71. I can't speak to length.

Thank you...it made no sense to me that the one that came with the car (but not assembled since the engine and trans were split and out of the car) would not have been the original one...it was old and crusty before I had it redone. Thanks!

I think both the 69 and below and 70-73 are curved, but are slightly different lengths. (I think maybe for the LWB and SWB chassis differences?) the PET has a different part number for the different year groups. I am sure someone here can confirm.

If that is the central tunnel throttle rod on the right of your picture, please check the crimps on each end that attach the threaded sections.

I replaced mine with a stoddard sourced part and it promptly came apart on the first blip of the throttle....

It may have been a one off, but a comparison to the original part showed the crimps to about half as 'deep' as the original part. Looks like you have that on the left of the photo?

Not trying to bag Stoddard in any way, and my apologies to them for not reporting my experience, but from way down here cheaper to fix than return and I got caught up in just trying to get back on the road....

FWIW I've never seen a bone straight linkage rod for a 911 of any vintage '69-'73 ,or '74-'89 all have a hump to clear
    the half shafts so your mechanic may be correct.
    They also may come mostly straight and expect you to place the half circle 'hump' in midway but that doesn't seem
    likely .
    I seem to recall purchasing one of these at some point and the correct semi circle 'hump' was in it.. Bert

Thank you all again...perhaps best to simply wait until the engine and trans install and see exactly what bend(s) are necessary. My Porsche dealer parts guy who has been a tremendous help and knowledgeable came up with the same PN as that pictured in the Stoddard photo that is showing a 'straight' rod (911-423-043-00. I did look at a photo I had taken of the MFI components prior to sending out for rebuild and plating, and my now 'straight' refinished rod indeed had a single bend in it (meaning not a curve at the mid-section). It apparently worked in the past and hopefully will again!