Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: body shop disaster 101

body shop disaster 101

Just and example of what happens on our end of things, and another example of why jobs get pushed back

this 356 came in for a quickie floor pan job, dents dings and chips repair and a quick repaint. The owner has a couple other very nice 356 and 911's and wanted this one for an around town, bad weather, road trip ride. All was going fine until I pulled the glass last saturday. I expected some paint chipping as the previous paint job got onto the rubber. No biggie. Feather the edges back. A little primer and wet sand and ready to shoot. I pulled the glass and got the expected chips. Next I grabbed my air chuck and proceeded t blow the dirt that was under the rubber out. This is where it all went wrong. As soon as the air hit the roof the paint went flying. I stripped %80 of the roof with the air chuck. All of it except the large spot on the pass side popped right off. Obviously when the previous job ( done in the mid 80's ) was happening the roof was primed, then the shop fixed some damage in that one spot, and proceeded to paint the car days + after the priming without sanding the primer. Note that the paint was single stage and was pretty thick so the edges where I stopped are pretty rough so I now am going to have to prime the whole roof and block it down to get rid of the ridge left after I feathered it back to where you see. In the end, this was supposed to have been painted Monday, the P.O.S. '40 Chevy that came in last friday " ready for paint " wasn't so my whole week + the biginning of next week are f-ed up. All of this on a fixed rate job.......
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

Last couple. Pics are loading out of order
    Attached Images Attached Images    

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

When I owned a body shop, I didn't do "fixed rate" jobs on collector cars. I punched a time clock per say. Live and learn.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

I rarely do, but this is a long term customer and good friend so I was trying to do him a " solid " as the kids say. LOL

Banned
    Fixed rate = fixed income.

Does coach work ever go the way you expect it to? I feel for anyone in this industry.
    Are you sure it wasn't haz gas coming out of the sewer clean out next to the car that caused this?

Say, you guys didn't paint the hood on the Grand Wagoneer did you?

Banned
    There used to be a difference between "doin someone a solid" and "laying a solid" on the sidewalk.

Apparently in this case they are one and the same.

Quite. Then I stepped on it.

I hear ya! I've taken on a ... couple and that changed my ways. Cool old Ford behind the Jeep. I always liked the stacked headlamps.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

At least you're a stand up guy and seeing to it... Hopefully the customer knows he's getting good service. Plus if he's a good customer with 3+ cars, you'll get to make up on it next time
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    At least you're a stand up guy and seeing to it... Hopefully the customer knows he's getting good service. Plus if he's a good customer with 3+ cars, you'll get to make up on it next time
    +1 Fishcop, but that's easy for me to say. I don't even know where I'd paint a car right now let alone when - and imagine what might be down there once I started to grind away? I admire yi Scotty B. Nice to have somewhere to blow off steam anyway Now get back to work.