Thread: Rear quarter window seal installation

Rear quarter window seal installation

Hello.
    I have benn struggling with installing the rear quarter window seal.
    I could install it except the upper and down ends of the vertical section.
    You can see a bunchy of the seal at the end of the vertical section at the attached picture.

Could you tell me how to install the seal completely. I tried to install it with soap and hot water many times with no success at these sections.
    This seal comes from Porsche factory.

Thank you in advance.

Takahiro
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Takahiro, I was at the same place you were 3 weeks ago.
    In the search box on the top right side type in "pop-out 1/4 panel window seal help needed"
    See what comes up. The suggestion from Per Schroeder worked best for me.
    Good luck! Peter

Hi Peter,
    I will try with Windex.

Thank you.
    Takahiro

I used WD-40. You have to be careful not to stretch the seal. I used a narrow plastic spatula to poke the bead into the slot. Some people have used a hammer instead!

SV

I found that undiluted Dawn dishwashing soap works really well with difficult rubber installations. It also has the nice advantage of washing off completely when finished. I would not used any petroleum based products on rubber. Long-term they tend to degrade it.

I found after try many, many lubes and slippery products including silicones, pastes etc, that Dawn enabled me to slide the side window rubber scrapers into their chrome channels.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

A hot water/dishwasher soap bath before, makes it very easy to install (it took me 10 minutes per side) the seal. I used a blunt cheese spreader knife and start at one corner of the front frame, then the opposite corner of the front frame, then go back and finish the middle. The trick is to get the posterior side of a short section of the seal (1/2" at a time) to be in the frame channel and then use the blunt cheese spreader to push and guide the anterior side of the seal in. You know it is in correctly when you hear the rubber seal makes a "click." Occasionally, I dip a paper towel into the hot soapy water bath and wet the area on the seal that I am working on, no need for exotic chemicals. Once the front side of the frame is done, I moved to the back side of the frame and repeats until I move the "clicks" to the front side of the frame.
    Andy (VA).

That's great advice. I'm a drummer so it's like tuning a drum head or tightening lug on a wheel. Go in a star pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsixcrazy View Post
    A hot water/dishwasher soap bath before, makes it very easy to install (it took me 10 minutes per side) the seal. I used a blunt cheese spreader knife and start at one corner of the front frame, then the opposite corner of the front frame, then go back and finish the middle. The trick is to get the posterior side of a short section of the seal (1/2" at a time) to be in the frame channel and then use the blunt cheese spreader to push and guide the anterior side of the seal in. You know it is in correctly when you hear the rubber seal makes a "click." Occasionally, I dip a paper towel into the hot soapy water bath and wet the area on the seal that I am working on, no need for exotic chemicals. Once the front side of the frame is done, I moved to the back side of the frame and repeats until I move the "clicks" to the front side of the frame.
    72S, 72T now ST

Hello,
    Thank you, guys for many suggestions.
    I tried with Windex and hot water before installing it. I could not get success.
    I will try later again.
    Thank you very much, again.
    Takahiro

Quote Originally Posted by silver72S View Post
    Hello,
    Thank you, guys for many suggestions.
    I tried with Windex and hot water before installing it. I could not get success.
    I will try later again.
    Thank you very much, again.
    Takahiro
    Takahiro,
    I used the spreader below to push/guide/hook the front beading of the seal, after I sat the rear beading of the seal in the groove in the frame. This tool is blunt and thin enough to push/guide/hook the front beading. Don't be afraid to man-handle the seal :-). Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Andy (VA).

I did this recently with my pop-out rear quarter windows and used some plastic trim tools to help seat the seal. The plastic is sturdy enough and less likely to damage your trim.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html
    - Josh
    - '72 911t
    - '81 euro SC