Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear quarter replacement panel quality ??

Rear quarter replacement panel quality ??

HI,

I will appreciate any comments or feedback on these two questions I have :

1- Any feedback on quality / fitment of the DANSK rear quarter panel ?

2- Is there other manufacturer that are better ?

Thanks !!
    JD
    Last edited by RS-GT; 07-07-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    1970S Coupe, Blood orange #1436
    1965 Coupe, Dolphin gray #1506

R Gruppe #647 ; S Registry #1666

Any experience you can share ?

Thanks
    JD
    1970S Coupe, Blood orange #1436
    1965 Coupe, Dolphin gray #1506

R Gruppe #647 ; S Registry #1666

All ways spend the extra and buy your sheet metal from Porsche when available. And the fit will be the best available and most accurate. As a note I just bought a rear RS quarter Fit seems exclleant, just have to modify it for a 72 oil door. Talk to your Porsche parts person and ask for a price break, they will most often do at least a 10% discount on an order this $$. All so let them know that surface freight will work. It seams that if normally ordered 4-7 days that there is a airfreight surcharge over the surface 2-3 weeks. More room for the dealership to discount. The RS quarter was in stock in Germany and not the US at the time. Plus it can be picked up at the dealership so no extra shipping costs.
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

I've used Restoration Design. They're not perfect but my perfectionist shop isn't complaining too loudly. The shop doing my work usually works on the Collier cars. They understand perfect. They also admit that even with the work that's necessary to make the pieces fit Restoration Design the best of all the alternatives.

Name:  911 Rear Seat.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  29.3 KB

That's the seat he finished up yesterday.

Name:  911 Rear Seat 2.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  103.4 KB

One of the time consuming jobs is removing all of these little brackets from the old sheet metal and relocating them into the exact same location on the new sheet metal. Everyone involved in this project though would use the Restoration Design products again.

Richard Newton

I ordered my replacement quarters (MY66) direct from Porsche. 2 months for passenger 10 1/2 months for drivers. Excellent fit and finish. No shipping charges

Joe D
    1966 911 #302694

Quote Originally Posted by WCB4 View Post
    All ways spend the extra and buy your sheet metal from Porsche when available. And the fit will be the best available and most accurate. As a note I just bought a rear RS quarter Fit seems exclleant, just have to modify it for a 72 oil door. Talk to your Porsche parts person and ask for a price break, they will most often do at least a 10% discount on an order this $$. All so let them know that surface freight will work. It seams that if normally ordered 4-7 days that there is a airfreight surcharge over the surface 2-3 weeks. More room for the dealership to discount. The RS quarter was in stock in Germany and not the US at the time. Plus it can be picked up at the dealership so no extra shipping costs.

This is not always the case. Especially in this case. The rear quarters that Porsche sells, are actually the same ones as Dansk. I have to disagree with you saying that Porsche has the best fit, and most accurate. Maybe with some parts, but when dealing with sheet metal, they are not always accurate. Quite often Porsche will supersede parts. Making a part that will fit a whole range of cars, but is not always correct for each year. I can name a few if you like... actually this rear quarter is one of them. The door lock post is not correct, depending on what year car you are installing it on.

Most of Porsche's sheet metal comes from Dansk. With a significant markup. So to call Dansk inferior to Porsche is just silly. And despite the Porsche seal of approval for Dansk, RD panels are often better fits. Certainly been my experience on my '73. As Alex points out the Porsche/Dansk pieces are often the latest revision and don't necessarily fit our early cars that well.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I just ordered both rear quarters for my 69S from Porsche (Dansk?). The drivers side is superseded to the '74-77 style. The passenger side is the correct '69-73 style. The differences are pretty minor and a decent metal guy can sort them out quickly.

I must say though that the drivers side fits MUCH better so I would be inclined to order both sides as the '74-77 style and just modify as needed to make them correct for '69-73. The figment issues are bad enough that it will require some cutting and shaping around the pop out corner window to get the proper opening for the window and transition to the gutter.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

I thought Porsche was now stamping their own parts? The Porsche Classic rep at Parade gave a spiel with pictures of the huge tools and everything.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Mine came from Porsche with Porsche stickers on them...but the drivers side (74-77) fits MUCH better than the passenger side (69-73). The flaws in fitment are not minor and required cutting and moving attachment points by as much as 1/2"!
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #