Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to tell if lightweight racing clutch is factory?

How to tell if lightweight racing clutch is factory?

Just curious - I'll be listing it soon, but can't seem to decipher if it is factory or not. Any help?

Hi, yes, they are factory ones.
    The flywheel, when in doubt, has even factory part numbers.
    The pressure plate it'is for 911/01 or early 915 gears.
    Sachs produces it even nowadays, but the central part is entirely made of steel (and of course heavier), not only the contact surface.
    In pic #5 you can notice the typical 911/01 release bearing, so it was on a <71 car.

This is a new one:

Name:  P1040354.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  50.3 KB

Awesome - thank you. I've heard it is an RSR clutch - any way to verify?

Any idea on values?

Hard to say, depends on if it's still useable and for how long..
    The flywheel could be Rsr but if you find all the clutch togheter, it was probably on a 2.2 (race?) engine.
    That bearing doesn't fit a RSR 915 gear.
    Do you have to sell it?

It came from a working vintage race 911- not sure how much life left.

I don't have to sell it, but don't need it.

That is not an RSR pressure plate from what I can tell. Here's why:

1) The spring diaphragm does not appear to be heavy enough (heavy convex) ... although, it's pretty tough to tell from the photos
    2) The T/O bearing is for a 901

However, the pressure plate does appear to be the lightweight, all aluminum ones occasionally found in 70/71 Ts and Es.

The ring gear DOES appear to be the lightened RSR-type, but I have a factory RSR clutch in my car and it's been my experience that the RSR ring gear will only work on an RSR pressure plate (I've tried swapping it around and it didn't fit properly). So, the ring gear MAY be a copy, albeit a good one.

The flywheel looks to be a factory race part.

Either way, you've got a good bit of kit there. You'd be doing well to put that behind a hot 2.8L ... instant RPM.
    Last edited by Mr9146; 04-27-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

From what i see:
    Flywheel is machined lightweight from standard
    Starter gear could also be machined from standard
    Throwout bearing is standard 911 (not 915, not 901)
    Clutch is standard 911 and perhaps early 915

Quote Originally Posted by crummasel View Post
    From what i see:
    Flywheel is machined lightweight from standard
    Starter gear could also be machined from standard
    Throwout bearing is standard 911 (not 915, not 901)
    Clutch is standard 911 and perhaps early 915
    That is really what I was asking - did the factory machine a lightweight flywheel and ring gear from standard? I would expect so - is there any tell tale to determine if the factory did it or just a really good machine shop?

Thanks for all the input, people.

Quote Originally Posted by greggearhead View Post
    That is really what I was asking - did the factory machine a lightweight flywheel and ring gear from standard? I would expect so - is there any tell tale to determine if the factory did it or just a really good machine shop?

Thanks for all the input, people.
    The standard production flywheel is a cast unit, you don't really want to cut that one lighter. The one shown is a race dept. piece and I believe they were forged for strength.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.