Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1966 911 gearbox questions

1966 911 gearbox questions

Hi all,

In trying to address an oil leak from the gearbox on my 1966 I ordered new oil seals but when trying to refit the drive flange it seems to push the seal in about 5mm too far.

This is the flange [ ATTACH=CONFIG]289920[/ATTACH]

It measures 125mm and has no markings. Flange part is 50mm, first "step" (forgive my ignorance of correct terms) is 15mm, shaft is 35mm and splined part is 25mm.

The box is number 519 1809 with casting number 901 301 101 2R

It has a ZF limited slip diff.

Is the drive flange correct? Too short?

Thanks

Jonathan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That is the wrong flange. The one you pictured is for a regular diff. The flanges for a ZF ltd slip have splines on the inside ot on the outside like the one you show. Just take a look at the trans and you will see what I mean. Good luck finding flanges for your limited slip!
    One more thing. If those flanges were in your trans, you don't have a ltd slip.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1966 View Post
    Hi all,

In trying to address an oil leak from the gearbox on my 1966 I ordered new oil seals but when trying to refit the drive flange it seems to push the seal in about 5mm too far.

This is the flange [ ATTACH=CONFIG]289920[/ATTACH]

It measures 125mm and has no markings. Flange part is 50mm, first "step" (forgive my ignorance of correct terms) is 15mm, shaft is 35mm and splined part is 25mm.

The box is number 519 1809 with casting number 901 301 101 2R

It has a ZF limited slip diff.

Is the drive flange correct? Too short?

Thanks

Jonathan
    Jonathan

That is not the correct flange for a 1966 901 ZF limited slip. 1966 901's have female flanges (actually I think it's 1964-1968 have all female flanges).

So:

- or you have later gearbox (1969)
    - or you have a std ZF diff (non LSD)

Is your gearbox aluminium or magnesium? Pictures?

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Thanks....do you mean I don't have an LSD because the flanges couldn't have fitted or they could have but will have damaged it? The box was recently rebuilt but I haven't been able to speak to the chap that did it. The slightly old FiA papers that came with the car specify it as having a ZF LSD but that could no longer be the case.

Thanks....do you mean I don't have an LSD because the flanges couldn't have fitted or they could have but will have damaged it? The box was recently rebuilt but I haven't been able to speak to the chap that did it. The slightly old FiA papers that came with the car specify it as having a ZF LSD but that could no longer be the case.
    This is a female LSD flange. It's "opposite" from yours.

69 and up (magnesium gearboxes) have "male" flanges, although slightly different than the one you are showing

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  179.6 KB

Will get some more photos what back with car

Yes, those flanges are not at all compatable with a ZF limited slip diff. See the pictures posted by PreS. Your flange is for a regular diff. and the picture of your trans showes a regular diff confuguration.

Regards

Jim
    PS: your flanges need a seal in the middle of the flange. If that is missing it is probably the source of your leak.

Regards

Jim

Thanks - any idea what would explain the oil seal being pushed 5mm too far in?

What do the gearbox numbers quoted above tell you about the box ?

The FIA papers state "ZF Lamell" - could well be (and seems to be the case) that its just a standard diff.

Few more photos. I am confused....the 902/16 stamp suggests a 912 box from 1969 but the 901 stamping something different?

Name:  front.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  114.9 KBName:  front2.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  167.8 KBName:  front3.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  190.7 KB

Thanks - any idea what would explain the oil seal being pushed 5mm too far in?

What do the gearbox numbers quoted above tell you about the box ?

The FIA papers state "ZF Lamell" - could well be (and seems to be the case) that its just a standard diff.
    What is the stamped number on the bottom of the trans. It would read something like 901/0 and also the transmission number will be stamped near that type number. Please take pictures of the whole trans. I don't think you have what you think you have.

Regards

Jim