Thread: 1971 T Fuel Pump

1971 T Fuel Pump

Hey guys,

My fuel pump crapped out and I went to pull it out and found a non oem pump put in by a previous owner. It is made in the good old US of A, and the only real info I can find is that it read it is 2.5-4 PSI. It was in the smugglers box. I still have the Zenith carbs on there and I was wondering if I should get a proper pump made for the car, of if it's not all that important on a T (without the MFI)? The previous owner seems to have a fuel filter in front of the pump, as well as one in the engine compartment. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-ez

Your fuel pump should be mounted under the car on a bracket that also serves as the LR sway bar mount. You can run any pump that is designed for carbs. OE pumps are very expensive and hard to find. Porsche never put a fuel pump in the smugglers box. That is a POs modification. If the pump and it's location has worked for a long time, you can save a bunch of time and hassle by just replacing the pump from your FLAPS and putting it in the same location as the PO did.

Regards

Jim

911 fuel pumps get expensive fast. I found Fuel Injection Corp. in Livermore CA. They rebuilt my Bosch pump for $300.00. A new one from Porsche was about $900.00. If it are me I would just put a Holley in the smugglers box and be done with it. Finding and OE pump and then having it rebuilt will not be all that cost effective. On the other hand how badly do you want an original car?

Richard Newton
    Porsche Tech Stuff

Hell I ran an old used S/W for nearly 10 years on my 71 till I got my original one fixed. If you decide to go original here's a photo of the pump with bracket (good luck in finding that bracket it's even harder to find than a pump) Also a photo of under side view of the pump mounted just behind the rack. Kind of hard to see.

Name:  fuel pump bracket.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  34.5 KB
    Name:  fuel pump.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  62.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hopper View Post
    Hell I ran an old used S/W for nearly 10 years on my 71 till I got my original one fixed. If you decide to go original here's a photo of the pump with bracket (good luck in finding that bracket it's even harder to find than a pump) Also a photo of under side view of the pump mounted just behind the rack. Kind of hard to see.

Name:  fuel pump bracket.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  34.5 KB
    Name:  fuel pump.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  62.6 KB
    Your car must be a very early 71. Your fuel pump location is very 1970ish.
    What is your chassis number?

Regards

Jim
    PS: Sorry for cutting you off the other day. I was really busy.

No problem Jim you have a job I'm retired I'll get in touch another day.
    My 71 is so early it even has a 70 glove box door. 00402

Hopper

EZ, 71 pump was mounted on left rear chassis as Jim mentioned near rear sway mount which you most likely dont have the bar.As for originality this is a personal decision, you may look in that area and may still have the mount maybe pump?
    71 rear pump location "experiment" as Porsche would never make a mistake, this was a one year only location (Jim correct me if I am wrong) and in 72 was moved back forward. some of the issues are electric pumps are much better at pushing fuel than sucking it, and you have the added heat soak on the pump due to the close location to the engine, some times giving vapor lock.
    I have a 71 T with Weber's and stock pump in stock location (for now), one time with about 1/8 tank of fuel and parked nose down a hill it would not pump fuel to carbs due to not enough fuel back pressure from tank (gravity on fuel) to the pump, rolled down to level and it pumped and started.

I will be doing a suspension up grade in a month or so, Bilstein struts and aluminum cross member among other goodies at that time I will relocate a pump to the later mounting point on the cross member and remove the rear mount. If you want to remove your smuggler compartment mounted pump I am sure that Jim can supply you with the later mount for the cross member or there are many 911's out there running a round bodied aftermarket pump mounted to the cross member using hose clamps and rubber sheet for vibration insulation that looks very close to stock. The smugglers compartment is not a bad mounting place, out of the way, easy access. I have one there in my 66 912 for filling the carbs when I have not been driving it and it works well and is basically out of sight.
    Main thing for your pump is pressure, and the 2.5 - 4 psi is what you want for carbs.

Regards

My 1973.5 pump is located in the back left corner.
    Name:  911 Fuel Pump 1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  63.4 KB
    The interesting point here is that the pump was manufactured in September of 1984. The pump is for a carbureted car. What happened (I think) was that when they removed the CIS system and installed the Webers they actually installed the correct fuel pump for the Webers. At least now I know when the swap took place. Maybe.

Richard Newton
    Porsche Tech Stuff

The pump was located in the rear from 71 - 75