Thread: Fuel tank weld

Fuel tank weld

I have a pristine '73.5 911T with a fuel tank pinhole leak.
    As you may or may not know, 73.5T fuel tanks have the profile for a full sized spare tire, but are for the then newly introduced CIS fuel injection. The tank has the plastic swirl pot internal design of the later 911 series.
    I want to separate my tank at the seam in order to restore it, but cannot determine how it was fastened (welded or otherwise). There are no spot welds that I can find. Does anyone know HOW THE ORIGINAL TANKS WERE MADE (welded or otherwise)? Knowing how they were made in the first place always helps in disassembly.
    I am not interested in using a later model tank and adapting it to this car. I know all about that. I want to restore the one that I have which will, done properly, require disassembly.
    Thanks in advance,
    Reed

There would be no spot welds; that would lead to leaks. However a similar process with pinch rollers and high current through them can produce a seam weld.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Easy one as this is somthing I have wanted to do for some time. The tank is made of halfs with a half inch seam that sticks out and holds the tank to the body.

What I want to do is what you already have. A tank that has the full size spair but also has the swirl pot. Best of both worlds, original looking tank that does not starve for fuel under hard cornering with less a quarter tank of fuel. What I want to do is cut an original tank from my 73 in half along the seam and cut a modern tank along the same seam (from an SC) and weld the top of the original tank to the bottom of the Modern (SC) tank.

Just need a welding class, welder and bomb jacket;-)

Chris
    73 911E