Thread: Bolt removal question.

Bolt removal question.

It appears that I may be replacing the hinge for the oil door on my '72. Does anyone know if the nuts on the back side of the inner door would be captured or welded in place? Or will I need to tear apart the interior panel with hope that there might be access to the nuts on the other side? Or is there access to the rear of this hinge if I pull the oil tank? Even a best guess may be helpful here.

Name:  MMZ_2473a.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  430.7 KB
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    - Mark Z

ESR #2450
    http://letter26.blogspot.com/

Are they spinning or seized? If they're not spinning, I'd wack 'em with an impact driver (assuming you can get at them) and then undo them. They heads look pretty good.

It's always a good idea to hit hard to remove bolts and nuts with a penetrating lubricant. I use Knock er loose wich works pretty well. It can make a tough job much easier. I've never pulled the oil door on my '72 so I cant confirm whether the nuts are loose or attached.

Sorry for the poor quality photo: from the spare parts manual, there are no nuts listed, so it implies they are captured/welded in place ... See parts labelled 4,5,6, ... Name:  72oil.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  67.7 KB
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Guys- I just want to clarify what I'm really asking here.
    The allen head bolts are NOT frozen and will remove fairly easily.
    What I need to know is if the nuts on the back side will stay in place after I pull the bolts?
    Or will they fall down into the fender and get lost forever?

Could the nuts be welded to the back side of #1 in the above illustration?

Yup - StephenA - you might be right as they show no nuts in the drawing (fingers crossed).
    - Mark Z

ESR #2450

Mark
    When comparing the schematic with those where I KNOW there are captive nuts (deck lid and hood hinges) the spare parts manual shows them the same way... bolts and washers, but no nuts...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

What would PORSCHE do! By the way, someone on this site sells a better hinge that presumably eliminates the broken hinge problem!
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1323986
    I just sent an EM to purchase one from him...IF it is his last (doubt) I will surely pass it over to you if you want to go with his stronger unit....cliff
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Hey Cliff - I plan to order one from him tonite. That's what got me thinking about this.
    - Mark Z

ESR #2450

My 72 has captive nuts.
    S Registry#2021