Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: project Behr - reproduction fender cooler

project Behr - reproduction fender cooler

This has been along time coming but we are getting to the end of the project and onto the first prototype. A few of you may remember i eluded to this project around 2 years ago , at the time the technology to produce what i wanted was just there but not main stream enough and to copy the look of a 69-73 S fender cooler required a pattern maker plus $$$$ just to get working drawings ... now with time we have arranged a group of Brainiacs together and moved along via 3d scanning to 3d cad and onto 5 axis cnc to produce the reservoir top and bottom plug to be cast.

These will be cast in lm25 alloy ( used for cylinder heads etc.... with a good atmospheric tolerance (resistance to elements ) ) and welded to a modern core to allow for the best cooling possible .

Now we are not aiming for an exact repo , as that's not possible , but the item will look alot like a original in shape / ribs / connections ...

Feed back please as input at this stage would be good

sample screen shots of the process at the start
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

As ever, great work John - unfortunately i've just invested in the elephant racing 'twin ST' set-up, however I might just be tempted to swap them out if they can be produced at a human price.

Will you be using the larger 72 fittings and will they be available with left and right handing?

Very cool stuff

Martin

Good work John. Martin has asked the right questions. What is the early rough estimate on cost ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrg3.6 View Post
    As ever, great work John - unfortunately i've just invested in the elephant racing 'twin ST' set-up, however I might just be tempted to swap them out if they can be produced at a human price.

Will you be using the larger 72 fittings and will they be available with left and right handing?

Very cool stuff

Martin
    The fittings will be machined from soild ali to the correct sizes and thread , then the design i have allows any size machined to be welded to the top locations . so fittings to match 69-71 and 72-73.
    there should be no issue making lhs and rhs sides
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Good work John. Martin has asked the right questions. What is the early rough estimate on cost ?
    very rough price under 1k ..well under
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

FYI! these will be available in a very short time from Porsche also

Marek

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    FYI! these will be available in a very short time from Porsche also

Marek
    well it would be great if they are but two things
    -porsche classic parts are not cheap

and "don't take it the wrong way " you haven't been exactly reliable ...
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

Has anyone else found quality problems in some of the newly released Porsche Classic parts? I have bought a side mirror that was sub-standard, just wondering what other problems exist out there, parts to stay away from.
    1972 911 Narrow-Body Group 4 Project - On The Road.

John - this cooler looks really good...please keep us posted.
    1972 911 Narrow-Body Group 4 Project - On The Road.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Original oil coolers are called Drawn Cup. The prototype of them were fabricated Bar and Plate coolers as found on the 911R's. The bar and plate coolers have cores, headers and tanks with fittings installed in the top tanks. The drawn cup coolers have staggered cores with no tanks. They are pressed together and oven welded. They were fragile coolers. The tooling was very expensive for this kind of cooler but with large production made it feasible. If your coolers are bar and plate cores, how are you going to have headers and tanks? Gled