Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: project Behr - reproduction fender cooler

Hello All,

I am so-totally glad someone (and all helping) are getting another needed part for our Porsche 911!

I know what its like making parts that we all need for restorations of said cars!

I have gone to far lands to get things re-made for the racing restorations that we do and know that its really never a money maker but does get you something to extend the racing life of these old War-Lord racers.

I need help on this matter for the 1971 Porsche 911 ST "Safari" Rally car we are trying to finish by August 1st. I am in need for the left side cooler and the trunk crossover pipes plus fittings. Yea I can fake it but it would sure be nice to say to John, "I would love to be the "Test-mule" for the finish products"!!!

If anyone has the cross over pipes and even a good used cooler with the fender shield, I would love to give them a good home ona pretty famous East African Safari 911!!!

HELP...cause i'm running outta time!!

Thanks Lads,

Kevin Jeannette Gunnar Racing

PS Olivier is a great source for help

I remember a few years back there was an affordable repro available thru Will Pringle's Classic & Speed Parts, I dont know if it was a good copy or not, I never saw it in person only online in his catalogue.

Also I was told that the 69-71 S fender cooler was actually an option, that not all S cars had one, is this correct?
    the ivory 69S sunroof I had last year didnt have one and did not have the holes in the body opened or signs of ever having them..
    A 70 S targa I have also has no fender cooler.
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Lots of feed back Great!!
    Oliver - re your comments - we made the top without insert or connection to keep the casting clean and less likely to have issues when pouring and releasing. The more angles/additions you add the more 2nd's we might get . Also the connections are to be different for the different years (order custom request)so if the tops are made blank we can add all the extras to suit year and use . the extra tig work is not a biggie .

also having a blank allows for easy lhs / rhs make up . I think long term it is a better option.
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

John,

Does that mean that you will have the boxes die cast?
    I thought you would use sand casting.

I am not trying to discourage you, just trying to make constructives comments.

Regarding castings you may want to get in touch with Dave Brown owner of classic car development. He is making perfect gt40 replicas, and he produces very nice castings. He may be of great help.

If you want to pm me, please feel free.
    Olivier

Hi Oliver ,
    sand cast (or the material they now use like sand ) but i have had a look at all angles with design and construction or parts / talk with every body involved in production to get feedback on how one process may effect another and after a round table talk we decided this was the way forward .
    Happy to get your input , never put off .
    We are keeping all parts new zealand made as in the past the input off the forum was overwhelming in regards to no asian made parts . This also keeps everything in my control for quality.

So guys i am working hard to get these made but i need time as this is not my full time job , just a hobby
    Last edited by advtracing; 06-17-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

core box for casting
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

Core box?

Like in this article?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_%28manufacturing%29

You shouldn't need any core box with your design. cope and drag paterns should be OK, with no need for cores at all (which can be a pain )

Olivier.

Unhappy

well first delay in the project :-(

the company that is making the custom core for the cooler is shifting factory location and won't be back up and producing until october . (always a subbie that delays you )
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook

John:

That's unfortunate news. But I've been looking for a new front cooler for a very long time so I guess another few months won't hurt much. Most important thing for you (and us) is to get the quality right...good luck!

Alan
    New Jersey
    '69 S

John Gausden:

Can you please provide us with an update on your efforts to manufacture front fender oil coolers? Is October still looking reasonable?

Thanks!
    Alan
    New Jersey
    '69 S
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello