Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel installation issue...

Steering wheel installation issue...

So I got my steering wheel redone and in trying to remount noticed that the horn contact pin would be sticking out once the wheel was properly seated. It didn't make sense that the steering wheel shouldn't be flush and properly seated before putting the nut on- even pulling it up just a bit and then tightening the nut eventually makes the contact pin pop up again (steering wheel being tightened pushes it down). I guess the question is: Is the spring that sits below the steering wheel compressing too much and not providing enough space- aka I need a new spring? There are no other parts I see that can be contributing to this issue unless the threaded bolt that the steering wheel slips onto is pushed in too much? Btw, yes it's the right size horn contact pin. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Posting some photos here to give some color to what I'm babbling about- should the spring be longer? Notice the pic with the nut in the process of being put on- notice how the horn contact pin is already not flush with the hub prior to completely tightening.
    Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  72.3 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  67.3 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  73.6 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  72.4 KB
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Shift Knob Maker
    Looks like your missing the spacer ring that goes on the wheel after the spring.
    http://www.stoddard.com/695-347-725-...port-ring.html
    If you search here you can find more info on it. Try steering shaft play etc.
    Mark..

Looks to me like you may have one of the long pins that are used with the modified thick hubs? Pictures can be deceiving, but a regular pin sticks out from the plastic about 1/4 inch, yours looks like its much longer
    Mike

Thanks for the info/insight guys- Mike, I checked this pin vs my broken original one and they are the same- this is a new "standard" size contact pin
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

I don't know whether it's a contributing factor to your problem but your cancelling ring is 180deg out - the 'tongue' should be on the opposite side to the horn contact pin ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

I give up. I bought the missing spacer, adjusted the bottom so that the canceling ring is on the opposite side and double-checked the pin size and still have the same issue. The pin sits flush until I tighten the center nut. It's barely tightened when it starts to pop up and does not sit flush against the wheel. I just don't know what else it could be.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Just put the horn button back on. The horn button will push the pin back into the steering wheel. Don't worry that the contact pin doesn't stay put when the button is not installed.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  67.3 KB
    I have a related question. In his photo above, is the contact pin in there correctly, or should it be reversed with the long part (that has that knob on it shown above) facing towards the driver, and not the horn ring?

Also, how do you attach the square ring terminal on the end of the w gnd wire?

I am trying to put a period-correct wheel back on my 1973 (in place of the Momo it had when I bought it).

The Brown ground wire attches under the mounting screw, lower right in this picture. The Brown/White to the contact ring, and the pin is correct.
    Name:  HornGnd.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  87.4 KB
    Name:  DSC00220.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  92.2 KB
    Also, my horn would occasionaly go off when turning the steering wheel. It was due to the screws being loose on the back of the horn pad. Make sure they are snug, mine had loosened over the years.
    Name:  HornPad.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  99.2 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T