Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: My Long-Term '70 S Restoration

Thumbs up. Will be killer.

I suspect this will become a sensational thread

Keep 'em coming please Dave
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this car...stunning so far!
    -Chris Mohr

S Registry #1978

brother you are rounding third and heading for home.....it looks AWESOME......even after I get mine back from Scotty, I have a whole lot more puttin together than you do....Hopefully in the near future there will be 5 + early silver cars all in the same parking lot on a cool fall evening

you, me, Eric, Ed and Jared....but no worries about blending in......you will still be the odd man out with the '70....<grin>

People have asked me what wheels I plan to run. Primarily I plan to use my Harvey restored Fuchs with a set of Avon tires. I sold my Americans a while back but replaced them with this set which is the nicest set I have ever owned. They are the later generation with the ribs on the side of the spokes. I personally like the look, but some find it a little busy.
    They are pretty flawless with two of them showing no evidence of ever being bolted to a car.
    I was hoping to buy a set of the vintage Dunlop race tires and use them only occasionally, but I have heard that those tires are no longer made. Not sure what I will run on them now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Been collecting other little trinkets to fit with the factory tarmac rallye theme. My good friend in Austria sourced this little gem for me and smuggled it over. It's the smae fire bottle used by the factory in cars like the 69 GTS and other race cars.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Super rare find on the Auto Total Dave. Should polish up a treat. Nice car.

Dave,
    I remember discussions on a tread about Avon CR6 ; do you plan to run 185 all around on deep 6, or 185-215 on Deep 6 and 7R ?

I think Roger Kraus is still selling the CR65 vintage Dunlop, but expensive...
    http://rogerkrausracing.com/pages/pricing.html

Regards
    JD
    Last edited by RS-GT; 09-21-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    1970S Coupe, Blood orange #1436
    1965 Coupe, Dolphin gray #1506

R Gruppe #647 ; S Registry #1666

I plan to do the 185 and 215 combo with the Avons.

Shame all of thes tires are so expensive. Not a whole lot of attractive options out there.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

So..... Just got a call from a good friend who pointed out a major mistake on my part. At some point I knew that the floors on 2.2 cars were simply coated with grey undercoating (no paint) and then cosmoline but somehow this slipped my mind and we painted the floor flat silver. Doh!

Luckily a good friend called me a reminded me so that we could correct this before we did the wheelwells and other areas. Is it important? Well, for most normal people no, but I set out with the goal to replicate as many of the factory techniques as possible, so we will be fixing it.

Stands to reason though. Why would the factory use expensive paint unnecessarily?

Here are some reference photos from two original 70 S's
    Last edited by Cornpanzer; 09-22-2014 at 05:14 PM.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439