Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things Porsche's COA didn't tell me - Build date?

Things Porsche's COA didn't tell me - Build date?

The COA for my '70 911T fails to indicate the build date for my car. I want to order a reproduction registration decal (that locates on the door jamb) and this decal contains the VIN and the build date. How do I establish the build date for my car? Found nothing on the internet. Should be possible to interpolate a build date based on other known build dates and VINs.

My VIN is 9110100328

Thanks!

Brent, I have a '70 911T Targa and the last numbers of my VIN are 0437. It has a build date of 10/69 so yours is either the same or 09/69. As an aside I see that my engine number is 17 numbers before yours, ending in 040.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish911 View Post
    Brent, I have a '70 911T Targa and the last numbers of my VIN are 0437. It has a build date of 10/69 so yours is either the same or 09/69. As an aside I see that my engine number is 17 numbers before yours, ending in 040.
    THANKS! Curious, where did you get your production date info from? Your COA or the registration decal?

Also, did your Targa get produced on the same production line as my sunroof coupe, as I know Porsche (at some point in time) had more than one production line and they divided production up based on body type.

BTW: My engine number is 6106057.

Brent
    Last edited by BrentF; 05-22-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Brent,
    There are many dates on parts that will help you narrow it down to the month. That is what we did before the DOT decal.
    The coupes and Targas wouldn't help with numbers VS dates.
    H

Brent, coupes and targas were produced on the same production line, at least they are in the photo's I have of the production line in '71. Mine is not a Karmann targa so it would have been on the same production line as yours. If someone has an earlier VIN number than yours that should settle the date. I got my date from the registration decal. My engine number is 6106040.

Thanks Irish. Very helpful on your part. I think I will go with 09 69, unless other forum members' responses point me toward a different month.

Thanks Harvey: Wasn't aware of that approach. Which parts yield the best date info?

Here's a screen shot of the VINs and build dates from the 911E Registry ( http://www.911e.org/registry.php )

Were the VINs assigned to T's, E's and S's intermingled with one another, or did they have a VIN sequence unto themselves? If they were intermingled, then my VIN ending with 0328 would be a 01/70 or 02/70 build:

Gauges are the first and easiest. Then other electrical parts. The spare if it is original or the other wheels. Many dates in the trunk and engine compartments also.
    The coupes and Targas were built on the same line but the numbering is not consecutive. I.E. you can have a 0320 T coupe and a 0320 T Targa.
    Same with Es ans Ss and Karmann cars etc.
    H

Thanks Harvey! I presume the dates on gauges (for example) are for the date the gauges were built, and not the day they became part of my car. If so, what is the typical delay period between when the gauges were made and my car was built?

Get 10 or so dates and you will see a pattern. Some of the fast moving parts used on all cars (clocks, fuel sending units etc) may be of the same month or one month earlier. Some of the parts may move slower or come from the bottom of the bin. I have seen spares 3 months earlier and 7" wheels on RSs 6 months earlier.
    H