Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avon CR6ZZ Question

Thanks everyone. I'm fairly certain based on Eric's response that I can get these to fit without too much work, but I'd like to know how they are to live with in the real world. For example, are they strictly a Summer tire? How do they do in the rain? Also, which compound are people using?

-M

Mike
    Avons are used here in Europe as rain tires for vintage races .
    Dunlop Sp are used as dry tires , but they are not road legal .
    About compound, i suggest to you the harder only because you can make 5/6000 km instead the 3000 km with the softer ones.

So don't worry: use them with confidence also during rainy weather!
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

I have just put a new set of Avon 185/70s on my 68 T/R. My car has 6s front and 7Rs rear. I was worried that the tyres would be too narrow for the 7" rims however Avon have recently released a new version of the 185/70 that is significantly wider than their old version. It's made in a completely new mold. The end result looks fine front and rear and drives beautifully.

The tyres are not what I'd call "hard". In fact my one criticism is that they are so sticky they pick up stones and fling them at your wheelarches - which can be a bit painful to listen to.
    Early 911S Registry #888

912->911 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by RennTyp View Post
    I have just put a new set of Avon 185/70s on my 68 T/R. My car has 6s front and 7Rs rear. I was worried that the tyres would be too narrow for the 7" rims however Avon have recently released a new version of the 185/70 that is significantly wider than their old version. It's made in a completely new mold. The end result looks fine front and rear and drives beautifully.

The tyres are not what I'd call "hard". In fact my one criticism is that they are so sticky they pick up stones and fling them at your wheelarches - which can be a bit painful to listen to.
    I am assuming you are referring to the A29 "hard" compound - as my previous reading suggests too that they are only hard for a race tire, not a street tire and pick up small stones along the way!
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

I've run CR6ZZ's on several of my early 911's in the past & currently have them on my 904 replica (185/70's - F & 216/60's - R) & have always opted for the harder of the two compounds available as my use is almost exclusively on public roads.

They would always be my no.1 choice.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

i have the harder compound on my car - and it is very soft by road tyre standards - and yes they do pick up lose stones and throw them up under the guards
    i am comfortable with them in wet conditions - but would be careful if there was much standing water. if i needed to go for a long drive in wet conditions i think i would add extra air in them to expand the grooves to let thru more water
    apart from that they are unbelievably good tyres for what i use them for which is all road use
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Mike, I have researched the heck out of what tires to put on the -6 GT and came to the conclusion that the Avons were the right choice. All the comments here are spot on to what I have found out. The new mold is better and a little larger for the 185/70 tire. The 215 is going to be a challenge to fit under SWB rear arches I think. And the offset widths might look funny without R style flares. Or might not... I would opt for the 185s all around on 6s.

Also, get the harder compound. They are more suitable for road use and are plenty sticky. The soft compound is used for vintage racing. Call Sasco Motorsports and talk to Dave Handy. He is very helpful.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

That's great news, thanks for the real world input. My concern was getting 'caught out' with these tires. The last thing I need here in the NorthEast is to be on one of our multi-day spirited rides and find out that bad weather or a cool morning means that I'm running a tire that could get me into trouble. When you're following Garfield or Ripley down the side of a mountain with your hair on fire your tires can make all the difference.

Mike, with these tires on Elsie, they might be following YOU! Ha, just kidding Jim...
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Mike, time for an update on the tire choice. I am thinking of adding the Avons to my 69. There were $280 from Sasco Motorsports back then. Nice to see that they have not raised the price on them since then.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 07-10-2018 at 06:58 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T