Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avon CR6ZZ Question

Avon CR6ZZ Question

I'm considering a set of Avon CR6ZZs for my car and I've run into an issue. I have 6 and 7R wheels and I want to run 185/70 and 215/60 which will give me exact overall diameter all the way around (25.2") and a 6" and 7" contact patch, which I consider ideal for look and performance on my '67 SWB.

The issue I'm running into is the Avons in these sizes are the A29 compound, which is described by Avon as; "VERY HARD COMPOUND FOR SALOON CAR CIRCUIT SLICK APPLICATIONS". If I was running 185/70 all the way around by using 6s at all four corners, I could choose their A30 compound, which seems more appropriate for aggressive street driving: "MEDIUM COMPOUND FOR CLASSIC APPLICATIONS". Both tires are DOT approved and have treads.

Before making a decision I was wondering if anyone has used the A29 tires and could tell me their impressions. I'd hate to lose my 7Rs, but I don't want to have a tire that would be dangerous on the street. Love to hear any thoughts on these choices and the compromises they require. The only other tire I have found in 185/70 & 215/60 are Firestone All Season High Performance or Pirelli P6000 Summer High Performance.

Thanks,
    -Mike

I have those tires on my 68S Sport Purpose coupe'. i tried A29 and A30 type ( softer and harder). Both are fantastic. The best tires you can use on a pre bumper.

But you could not mount 7R rims ( with correct 215/60 tires) under a standard 67S... you need gr 3 flares, like mine...

Name:  fianco911.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  90.2 KB
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

I have the a set of the new and improved CR6ZZ (185/70R15) in the A29 compound, but haven't mounted them yet.

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/historic/cr6zz

Quote Originally Posted by andrea70 View Post
    I have those tires on my 68S Sport Purpose coupe'. i tried A29 and A30 type ( softer and harder). Both are fantastic. The best tires you can use on a pre bumper.

But you could not mount 7R rims ( with correct 215/60 tires) under a standard 67S... you need gr 3 flares, like mine...
    Thanks Andrea. Are you sure? I have 205's on the rear now with 7Rs, 20mm spacers and very firm T-Bars and I never had any issues. I'm thinking 10mm won't be too big, especially if I roll the fenders. Oh, and since my car isn't an 'S' I don't have any oil cooler lines to contend with.

Cheers,
    Mike

Mike.
    My spacers are the original 27mm ( you can find the correct dimension on the first sport purpose manual)

Perhaps with 20mm spacers, fenders rolled and without oil tube you can manage them.
    You have only to try!!

ciao
    Andrea
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

I run 205/60s on my steelie 7s with a 34 mm offset on my SWB. I couldn't get the 215s to go without trimming the wheel well lips...which I didn't want to do.

Thanks GS. Did you try rolling the fender lips first?

Also still interested in hearing about the CR6ZZ compounds for street use.

-M

I have CR6ZZ and I use my car 98% of the time in the street.

They are fantastic!! Grip grip grip grip.....and grip!

(My car is a 914/6gt)
    Last edited by Pirulero; 05-20-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    Thanks GS. Did you try rolling the fender lips first?

Also still interested in hearing about the CR6ZZ compounds for street use.

-M
    No I didn't want to roll the fender lips. I went to the 205/60s so I didn't have to roll the fender lips.

Fantastic tyres, the new version even more so! 185s on 6" with spacers on my 68S:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster