Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Avon CR6ZZ Question

Ran modern and fairly sporting 195/65R15 Dunlop SP all-seasons before the Avons, and found them better for what I was after than the Vredesteins on the car before them but still lacking the performance characteristics I was after. Suspect the Goodyears may be better—especially with Ed's recommendation—but also suspect, as all-season tires, they are roughly similar to the Dunlops. If so, they have enough performance to be sure, but the Dunlops weren't sporting enough in character (turn-in, transition, sidewall stiffness, etc) and also not "correct" looking to these eyes.

Best tires I ever had on the car in terms of feel/performance were 1990s-era summer tires. Would love to find something closer to that, and still looking. So far, the P6000s look to be the most promising avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Hi Pete,

I posted the photo to show the P6000 tire sidewalls and stance.

I rebuilt my suspension as follows:

Rubber bushings
    21 mm Front TB
    27 mm Rear TB
    18 mm F/R Sway Bars
    Bilstein custom valved shocks, which are pretty close to HDs.
    Weight reduction to 2180 lbs.

My car handles great, but I also noticed some front end jiggly-ness like you. I thought the Bilsteins were too stiff, so I removed them and had them shock dyno'd at a local race shop. They sent me dyno graphs and said the shocks are fine. They're more on the soft side, not too stiff for the car.

They noted the weight reduction in my car. Most of the weight was removed from the front end and they told me that the 21 front TB is too stiff for car weight. They recommended that I return the front to the stock 18.8 TB. Which I plan to do next month.

Your 21 mm front sway bar might be too stiff for your suspension set up. Something to consider.
    Thanks, Bert.

It may be, though the car was wonderful with the same spring rates all around and front ARB for 20~ years. The only changes include new rubber bushings, a heavier engine (a six), dampers, and tires. The former two should soften its ride while one or both of the latter two are probably the problem. Car is going into Holleran's shop this week for a few things, and the Bilsteins are one of those things.

Curious how that shop tested your Bilsteins. There's high-speed damping (think short, sharp bumps) and low-speed damping (think body lean/set in a turn). They may have been in spec, but that spec may not be great. I know a lot of people who love Bilsteins, and they are people I respect—but I don't like the way off-the-shelf Bilstein high-speed damping fails to filter out all of the "little stuff" and makes the car seem fidgety. I find Koni dampers better in that regard, but I think that is a personal thing—and I've tried revalved Bilsteins that were superb and possibly better than Konis.
    Last edited by stout; 07-25-2018 at 09:44 AM.