Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Open discussion : Possible Fall Targa Baja California event October 16-19 ??.

Dave-

I spend quite a bit of time in that area of northern Baja and on many of those roads. I belong to a wonderful quail hunting club that is on the road from Maneadero (20 minutes S of Ensenada) that ends at La Bufadora. That road was just repaved over the past 12 months and is in fantastic condition. I would suggest you enter and exit Mexico through the Tecate border crossing. Its is not anywhere the chaotic situation that San Ysido (Tijuana) can be and you avoid going through Tijuana (or at least the outskirts of TJ). And coming back though the border will be alot easier on the cars and on our throwout bearings. The road going south from Tecate goes through the Guadalupe Valley which is beautiful and has many wonderful wineries and places to eat as you travel south. It is quite scenic and offers some very nice roads that I have traveled on extensively for the past several years. As a rule, I generally avoid Tijuana and I'm careful about where I go in Ensenada. From my perpective, traveling in northern Baja requires common sense about where to go and where not to go. Once outside of Tijuana I feel very safe and the locals are warm and delightful.

The toll road from TJ to Ensenada and south through the Santa Tomas Valley is in great shape with the exception of the portion that collapsed last winter between La Mision and Salsipuedes. The detour takes you inland on the old "libre" road from La Mision (at La Fonda restaurant for those familiar with local landmarks) through the town of La Mision to the northern part of Ensenada. It was mostly repaved after the road collapse to handle the additional traffic. The only issue is traffic on that stretch of the highway; it's a Porsche road with lots of twisties, but it's a 2 lane road and there is always a slow smoking truck or two to contend with.

October is a beautiful time in Baja, the weather is guaranteed to be great. It's too bad that weekend conflicts with the quail hunting season or else we could stay at the lodge that I belong to. It has 36 rooms and a killer area for parking and its VERY safe. I'm happy to discuss more details about northern Baja with you and I think this is a fantastic idea.

I'll post a few pictures soon.

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    Hey Beck, do ever get to LA ? I want to buy you a "double-double" animal style and laff my ass off !!!

Mr. Autenrieth,

Is that an In-n-Out burger?

I don't eat anything that used to have a face on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Hmmm......

After posting yesterday on my driving experience in northern Baja, Mexico a thought crossed my mind. Insurance?? No way will Chubb cover my six digit valued 73S in Mexico; I imagine the insurance issue has to be a deal killer for many.....
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Mr. Autenrieth,

Is that an In-n-Out burger?

Yea, In-out. No worries, their grilled cheese rocks too !!
    My wife & daughter are vegan , so I get it.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    After posting yesterday on my driving experience in northern Baja, Mexico a thought crossed my mind. Insurance?? No way will Chubb cover my six digit valued 73S in Mexico; I imagine the insurance issue has to be a deal killer for many.....
    This is something Dave is actively working on.
    Rob Abbott

Swedewerks Survivor Cars SD Swede's Avatar
    Dave,

Not been here long, but on this topic I can share some insight. Above, Nick gave a very informative and accurate account of current conditions. Having been surfing the area since the 70's, having had property between Rosarito and Ensenada, and having taken Nick's described route twice in the last month to assist a friend with having a fishing boat built in Ensenada, I completely agree with him. The Tecate crossing would be much easier on the cars and is all around less stressful in both direction for several reasons.

I'm in, as long as my car that was supposed ready last month is done by October (ha)...
    And Dave, I'm totally willing to help with any logistics/planning "grunt" work you may need. I'm in San Diego so something you need done may be more convenient for me. Anything...let me know.

Peter
    Peter Andersson #2864
    Pinstriped Early 911 Club #1