Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY : Restoring Hood lights (Phares Boules)

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

DIY : Restoring Hood lights (Phares Boules)

After sharing the restoration of my toolbag, I would like to do the same with one of my numerous pair of Cibie Pallas.

I have several pair of these very cool hood lights. I went mad few months agao and bought many original used pairs. It is now time to make them nice again.

Decided to take the red pair, fully painted in red, heavy thick paint.

First of all, have dismounted the light to check condition : very good
    Name:  WP_20140610_003.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  70.0 KB

Then checked if the chrome is still here - using a soft Dremel coper brush - the chrome has faded on the outer but still bright/shiny on the inner side. Both will get a new chrome treatment.
    Name:  WP_20140610_010.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  43.1 KB

I decide to use a Restom chemical paint remover for the bowls and the circles. I did it 3 times due to the thickness of the red paint. will see tomorrow the result of the 3rd layer.Name:  WP_20140610_012.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  79.8 KB
    Name:  WP_20140610_020.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  91.4 KB

In the mean time, I have ordered 2x H1 Bulbs, the electrical harness, and few new special bolts (monancienne.com)- ordered 2 Pallas Mounting plates from our friend ST-Classic/advtracing.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

while waiting and had nothing to order more, I cleaned the inner optic mounting plates
    Name:  WP_20140610_004.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  62.7 KB
    Name:  WP_20140610_005.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  65.1 KB
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I have a question whether gentle bead or soda blasting would be better than a Dremel on the chrome, or even paint stripper?
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    I have a question whether gentle bead or soda blasting would be better than a Dremel on the chrome, or even paint stripper?
    maybe, I will try on the next set. However, I plan to re-chrome those ones as they were faded, probably due to the paint, as surface is really clean.
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

The brush itself could have caused this fading...

The chrome was perhaps perfect under this paint. You could try to repolish it with polishing paste and fabric wheels... (un touret à meuler équipé de roues en tissus ou en feutre et de la pate spéciale pour polir. Si ne chrome n'est pas piqué/écaillé, ca peut marcher. Ne JAMAIS utiliser quoi que ce soit d'abrasif sur du chrome! Cata garantie!)

May I ask just for my curiosity if you could show how the mouting system of the light itself works ?

Thx

Olivier.

You will find few infos/pics there, i've restored many of them ;-)

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...%E9+hood+light

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post

The chrome was perhaps perfect under this paint. You could try to repolish it with polishing paste and fabric wheels... (un touret à meuler équipé de roues en tissus ou en feutre et de la pate spéciale pour polir. Si ne chrome n'est pas piqué/écaillé, ca peut marcher. Ne JAMAIS utiliser quoi que ce soit d'abrasif sur du chrome! Cata garantie!)

May I ask just for my curiosity if you could show how the mouting system of the light itself works ?

Thx

Olivier.
    I use 2 different ways of removing the red paint, and the chrome was faded on both. :-( I tried to polish them : no joy. Rechrome is on its way :-)
    Mounting system of the bulb ?

Quote Originally Posted by OliveR View Post
    You will find few infos/pics there, i've restored many of them ;-)

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...%E9+hood+light
    Thank you.

Xavier
    Last edited by Xavier PJB; 06-11-2014 at 12:38 AM.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post

Thx

Olivier.
    IS this what you are looking for ?
    Name:  WP_20140611_001.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  51.7 KB
    Name:  WP_20140611_002.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  43.9 KB

Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Are the 3 little plastic sockets available that are snapped into the lense retaining ring?

Thanks Xavier, exactly what I wanted to see!

Olivier.