Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital CDI ignition system PartsKlassik

Digital CDI ignition system PartsKlassik

I wondered if anyone here have had time to get some experience with the new digital CDI ignition system from PartsKlassik? I have been considering different solutions for a while and think this system both looks great and sounds very reliable and because of this the best solution for me.

From the site: http://www.partsklassik.com/p-1413-c...-rpm-6500.aspx

We are not repairing the CDI internals, but replacing the unit with our patent pending digital technology.
    With our new design we are able to monitor the in coming voltage to the CDI unit and in turn adjust the capacitor charge time to ensure a constant high voltage charge is delivered to the ignition transformer. This means easier starting even with a partially discharged battery and a more constant voltage being delivered to the coil.
    The electrical heat produced by the new design CDI system so low that we can offer a full 5year warranty on the unit. Our CDI will also work best with the factory Porsche ignition transformer it will still work with any standard ignition coil, however due to the high voltage out put a standard points coil will not survive for very long.
    Our units can operate with an input voltage of between 8-15volts, producing a 150 MJ of spark energy at 450 Primary voltage...
    This unit is offered in 6500 RPM limited at the box, to eliminate the rev limited rotor in the distributor for a more precise and consistent rev limit. These are also available in 7100 and 7300 RPM limited models.

Any experiences and comments would be appreciated and it would also be nice to see some pics of the system installed in a SWB :-)

Thanks, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

I believe Gib put one in his yellow ST. He mentions it towards the end of the thread: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...rogress/page45
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica87911 View Post
    I believe Gib put one in his yellow ST. He mentions it towards the end of the thread
    Thanks! How did I miss that???... Will check out that thread - again
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

The Partsklassik CDI system is working well on both my STs. I have a 3 pin version on the LY ST and it works well, starting quickly, which is one of the benefits of the higher energy sparks. I have 2 on the Kremer ST, both 6 pin versions, and again the starting with no cold start feature on the MFI is much improved over the stock Bosche CDI. Since I have a JB Racing dizzy without a rev limiting rotor, the built in rev limit feature is nice to have. Definitely worth the $350 to have a box redone...it looks period correct, is better than other aftermarket ignition systems because it allows you to use the black Bosch coil, and the box looks like new when received.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Would anyone have installed one of these digital CDI units on a carbed engine?
    Member #2666

Quote Originally Posted by Irish911 View Post
    Would anyone have installed one of these digital CDI units on a carbed engine?
    That's what I'd like to know...my 72 has a 77 2.7L with Weber IDAs.
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

A "hot fire" is a good fire. Would make carb engines very happy indeed.

The Light Yellow ST has 40 Webers, 9.5 CR, single plug, and it runs and starts very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Thanks Gib!
    What was the "fix" in post #448 to get the tach to work properly?

I´m in contact with Kurt Donohoe now. Partsklassik have a rule not to post on the forums, but says it´s no problem for me to post his answers here. I have a lot of respect for this policy, but on the other hand Kurt is one of the vendors/manufacturers I´m most interested in hearing more from. Remember the tech articles in ESSES lately?? Great stuff!

I will try to forward all info I would personally appreciate finding in a thread like this.

My car is difficult to start, especially cold and because the engine compartment is not exactly original, I feel an upgrade to CDI would be a smart move and also look much better than today. From all I have read over the years, this engine would benefit greatly from CDI.

Name:  67S electrical panel.JPG
Views: 1238
Size:  105.7 KB

I have to aim for a bullet proof driver because I have no good shops around. If it breaks down, help from the USA is in many ways "closer" than from the shops here.

From Kurt:
    The engine starting has been one of the biggest area of improvement we have noticed when using our CDI system. I have been testing a 6 pin version in my own 911 Turbo and one of the biggest differences I have seen is that the start quality is greatly improved. We live in Flagstaff, AZ at an altitude 7300 Ft, and in the winter the temperature can drop to -25°F. With a working Bosch CDI unit installed in the car the engine will start and stall or just run poorly until it warms up, but with our unit installed I can just reach in and turn the key and the engine will just start and run.

With your car the difference would be like night and day. A Conventional ignition system like the one installed in your car will develop about 50Mj,(Mj= Mille joules), of spark energy at best, depending on the coil quality installed in your car. Our CDI ignition system develops 150Mj of spark energy which makes igniting the fuel mixture especially in a cold engine 3 times easier. If you look at it this way with a conventional ignition system you are lighting the fuel mixture with a match Vs using a propane torch when using a CDI system.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

Related thread with some good info: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...on-for-68-911S
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender