Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distributor stuck in case

Distributor stuck in case

My distributor is really stuck in the case it will not rotate or move vertically in the case, engine is in the car
    all clamps etc. are loose but no movement it's a 66 and I've used brake free stuff to no avail? I suspect the
    rubber seal is holding it in place any suggestions?

Regards

Rolly

let it sit with some wd-40 that will dissolve the seal. it probably has rusted too.be patient and let the chemicals work.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I have better success with "PB Blaster" than with WD-40, either way, yes, let the chemicals work.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Rolly- good advice above.

You don't want to damage either the di$tributor or the ca$e. I worked on an old 911 years ago with the same problem. I was told to apply something that would
    dissolve/attack rust AND gently/lightly tap on the lower distributor shaft with say a 17mm wrench. Not hit, tap. I recall I did a lot of tapping but remarkably it finally moved, then turned and came out. I found it interesting where the corrosion had the lock on it.

This is one of those times when patience pays. Keep us updated.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

I had the same problem. I could rotate the distributor in the engine case but couldn't remove it. I ended up removing the fan and strap which allowed me to get a lever underneath it. Lots of wiggling, WD40 and some leverage finally got it out.

I have a slide hammer you can borrow that uses a number of attachments including vice grip pliers.

A number of years ago I was able to work a very amicable trade for this setup. I've used it on countless gears and other things that just didn't want to play right.
    The set to the right has some nice attachments that could be used "under" the distributor with the slide to loosen its grip. Worst case scenario is a fabricated attachment "specifically" fitted
    to the profile of the bottom that could be made very easily.

Good luck. Wish I was there.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by sithot; 06-20-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    The set to the right has some nice attachments that could be used "under" the distributor with the slide to loosen its grip.
    Neat tool! Do you have a link to where it is possible to buy it??

Thanks, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Radmund:

Europe has some fine tool manufacturers too!

Here is the link to the "puller" sets from Snap On.

http://store.snapon.com/SearchResult...=0&FieldValue=

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Europe has some fine tool manufacturers too!
    True, but nothing beats Snap On!!! Thanks for the link!!
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Banned
    I will take Stahlwille over Snap Off any day.
    They are not the tool company they used to be.

Rolly,
    If the engine is out, putting a little fire to the outside of the case is always a fall back.