Thread: Gaskets on Sump Plate

Gaskets on Sump Plate

I checked "search" but did not find an answer to these questions: 1) when replacing the sump plate and sump screen -- should there be a single gasket between the plate and screen -- or should there be two gaskets -- "sandwiching" the plate with a gasket between the plate and screen, and then a second gasket between the screen and the sump casting?; and 2) should you coat the gasket(s) with anything? - engine oil, gasket sealer?

Thanks,

Bob

case
    gasket
    screen (or venturi/screen)
    gasket
    plate

no sealer.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks 304065 -

Bob

I tried the "no sealer" approach and was unable to get the oil sump plate to seal properly. Thinking my plate was no longer flat I replaced with a URO Parts replacement and still had no luck making sure I've got new washers/nuts/gaskets each time.

I finally gave in and used Loctite 574 flange sealant as per the Sump Plate installation on your Porsche Air-Cooled Engine video from Klassik Automotive Training School's YouTube channel. I should have known I wasn't going to be able to seal with paper gaskets alone. Gasket sealant was used previously.

Name:  Oil Sump Cover Gasket.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  223.8 KB
    Early 911S Registry #3811
    '70 911S Coupe Tangerine
    Instagram @turkis.tii

Often the leaks are due to slight edge where the case mating surfaces come together. Run your fingernail across the case parting line, if you can feel an edge it is a potential leak, doesn't take much. Once sanded flat it has cured many leaks. The last place I want sealant is at the pump inlet area. The gasket surface on that strainer plate doesn't look too good either.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The gasket surface on that strainer plate doesn't look too good either.
    I agree that the strainer plate surface isn't good. Are there replacements available? I'll have to do the fingernail test at the next oil change.
    '70 911S Coupe Tangerine
    Instagram @turkis.tii

Silicone seals are really good for the sump and valve covers. Easy to use, reusable, and they don't leak.

http://appbiz.com/search.aspx?find=s...se&category=16

I don't see the sump seals on Bob's site, but I am sure they have them available.

Happy New Year,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Yes , silicone gaskets and no sealant required .

Quote Originally Posted by TurkisTii View Post
    Are there replacements available?
    Is eBay the only source?

Name:  Oil Strainer.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  47.7 KB
    '70 911S Coupe Tangerine
    Instagram @turkis.tii