Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever seen a VIN/type stamping like this before?

Anyone ever seen a VIN/type stamping like this before?

See attached photo of VIN stamping. This is on a LHD 1973 911 S 2.4L. Car was originally delivered to France and the VIN and engine number agrees with the Kardex. The VIN is stamped in the usual place on the body work inside the luggage compartment next to the fuel tank. However as you can see, immediately above the VIN there is also stamped: *911 S-E*

Also on the aluminium data plate on the front slam panel, the VIN is stamped in the usual box (the same number), and the third digit of the VIN is a 3 which is correct for 1973, and yet in the type box on the data plate it is stamped "E". Shouldn't that be "F"?
    The data plate looks completely authentic in every way - the stamping font is correct, it appears to have the right amount of ageing etc etc.

Is it unusual to see a car that has both the model/type AND the VIN stamped TOGETHER on the bulkhead, or indeed a 1973 car with "E" as the type on the data plate? Can anyone shed any light on this? I would be very grateful for any advice!

Name:  DSCN1392-2.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  107.6 KB

That looks strange to me, unless it's another Sonauto peculiarity ...

Anyway, as a 1973 "S" it should have "F". As far as the aluminum plate is concerned, it is widely acknowledged that most 1973 "T" models, for some reason, had "E" marked in the plate (please davep confirm).
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Those are not. Flat top 3's. They do not look factory stamped.
    1965 911 Factory Paint to Sample Orange
    1967 911S Bahama Yellow
    1968 911 S Blood Orange
    1971 911S Gold Metallic Peter Gregg
    1974 Carrera RS Blue Metallic
    1990 RUF RCT Estonia's car

Quote Originally Posted by 1970rsr View Post
    Those are not. Flat top 3's. They do not look factory stamped.
    The stamped "3" on my car looks like a factory one - it's just fine. See attached examples of VIN stamps from other cars (just to compare the factory "3"):

Name:  VIN4.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  20.8 KB
    Name:  VIN3.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  36.4 KB
    Name:  VIN1.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  27.2 KB
    Name:  VIN2.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  29.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Biancaneve View Post
    That looks strange to me, unless it's another Sonauto peculiarity ...

Anyway, as a 1973 "S" it should have "F". As far as the aluminum plate is concerned, it is widely acknowledged that most 1973 "T" models, for some reason, had "E" marked in the plate (please davep confirm).
    Thanks Biancaneve, but what sort of "Sonauto peculiarity" did you mean in this context? Did Sonauto tend to get special VIN stamping treatment from Porsche, or meddle with existing ones on cars they sold?

Very interesting that most of the 1973 "T" models had "E" marked in the plate! So in that case it could be possible that some of the 1973 "S" cars have an "E" on the plate as well. I had thought it could be an error on my car, but now you have told me that, it doesn't seem likely to be an error.
    Last edited by 911ES; 06-22-2014 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 911ES View Post
    Thanks Biancaneve, but what sort of "Sonauto peculiarity" did you mean in this context? Did Sonauto tend to get special VIN stamping treatment from Porsche, or meddle with existing ones on cars they sold?

Very interesting that most of the 1973 "T" models had "E" marked in the plate! So in that case it could be possible that some of the 1973 "S" cars have an "E" on the plate as well. I had thought it could be an error on my car, but now you have told me that, it doesn't seem likely to be an error.
    Well, for example Sonauto but also other importers, i.e. AMAG in Switzerland or D'Ieteren in Belgium sometimes used to add their own plates. For all the disquisition on the aluminum stampings I think you should try digging into this forum and also into the DDK's.
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

It's a Sonauto peculiarity. Strange that is S-E and not S-F.
    Please see the very original Rs that will be sold in Le Mans, again France delivered.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Quote Originally Posted by vipergruen View Post
    It's a Sonauto peculiarity. Strange that is S-E and not S-F.
    Please see the very original Rs that will be sold in Le Mans, again France delivered.
    Fantastic! Thanks vipergruen! Now I now my stamping is not fake and has not been altered from new. That is a relief. I wonder why Sonauto did this? Maybe it was some kind of French legal requirement for a while to have bodywork stamped with both VIN and model/type?

I have enhanced that photo of the RS's VIN stamping and attached it again here. You can see that it has been stamped with the model/type in exactly the same way as on my S.

Thanks also to Biancaneve for your advice regarding the aluminium plate stampings.

Name:  Sonauto_peculiarity_RS_VIN.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  362.1 KB

And yours is done in the exact same font as the factory used. The fakers rarely if ever get that right thank God. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

It still looks a bit off to me. The S E is a strange marking, I have only seen F on the E and S cars,TE on the '73Ts. It may be real, but all the other stamping examples ahown have the vin near center of the section. Even on the 911 SC-F the vin is not as low as your plate.
    Can you post the Aluminum vin plate, and check the production number stamped into the dash? Does it have a vin on the A pillar or was this just US models?
    Name:  73WindshieldVin002.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  76.9 KB
    Name:  Prod.Number.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  109.9 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T