Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever seen a VIN/type stamping like this before?

Quote Originally Posted by ESully View Post
    It still looks a bit off to me. The S E is a strange marking, I have only seen F on the E and S cars,TE on the '73Ts.
    Well, on a '72S you would expect to find a "E" and in '73S a "F". Being these stamps done at Sonauto, I would expect that there was some flaw in their logic ... but this need some digging into the Sonauto process...
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by ESully View Post
    It still looks a bit off to me. The S E is a strange marking, I have only seen F on the E and S cars,TE on the '73Ts. It may be real, but all the other stamping examples ahown have the vin near center of the section. Even on the 911 SC-F the vin is not as low as your plate.
    Can you post the Aluminum vin plate, and check the production number stamped into the dash? Does it have a vin on the A pillar or was this just US models?
    Thanks ESully. When I get a bit of time I'll remove the knee pad and have a look for the number stamped on the dash panel and report back. I think the VIN was on the A pillar only on the US spec cars, yes. My white US spec S has it, but not this French car or any UK cars I've seen.

As regards the positioning of the model/type stamp in relation to the VIN stamp, could it be that the factory stamped the model/type on there first, and then the VIN got added at a later stage on the production line. So they would always put the model/type stamp at the top of the space and then it would be up to the person doing the later stamping of the VIN as to where (within the remaining space below) they felt like locating it.

I will get a photo of the aluminium plate as well when I get a moment and post here ..

Quote Originally Posted by Biancaneve View Post
    Well, on a '72S you would expect to find a "E" and in '73S a "F". Being these stamps done at Sonauto, I would expect that there was some flaw in their logic ... but this need some digging into the Sonauto process...
    Were the aluminium data plates stamped at the factory or at Sonauto? I had assumed that the plates (and the stamps on the body) were all stamped at the factory. If they were stamped by dealers then I would not be at all surprised if all sorts of errors occurred from time to time.

I will keep researching this..

Quote Originally Posted by 911ES View Post
    Were the aluminium data plates stamped at the factory or at Sonauto? I had assumed that the plates (and the stamps on the body) were all stamped at the factory. If they were stamped by dealers then I would not be at all surprised if all sorts of errors occurred from time to time.

I will keep researching this..
    Well, my understanding is that the chassis number was stamped at the factory and the extra numbers at the importer's. If you're fluent in French you can post on www.club911.net and ask to locals or I can do it for you if you wish.
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Anyway, as a 1973 "S" it should have "F". As far as the aluminum plate is concerned, it is widely acknowledged that most 1973 "T" models, for some reason, had "E" marked in the plate (please davep confirm).
    Yes, all 1973 911T that I know of have an "E" in the chassis box.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Well, my understanding is that the chassis number was stamped at the factory and the extra numbers at the importer's. If you're fluent in French you can post on www.club911.net and ask to locals or I can do it for you if you wish.
    No Biancaneve, my French is not exactly fluent! I'd be very grateful if you could do it for me!

I have asked.
    In fact, I think this is the "Type mines" (that could be translated as "approval type" from the "Service des mines"). This service was in charge of the approval of any vehicle registered in France.
    The 911 Carrera RS 2.7 were stamped "911 SC-F" at the same place.

http://www.club911.net/showthread.php?tid=148963

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    I have asked.
    In fact, I think this is the "Type mines" (that could be translated as "approval type" from the "Service des mines"). This service was in charge of the approval of any vehicle registered in France.
    The 911 Carrera RS 2.7 were stamped "911 SC-F" at the same place.

http://www.club911.net/showthread.php?tid=148963
    Thank you very much, 928cs! That's VERY interesting. So it probably means that all cars delivered to France (not just to Sonauto) had to get this approval from the "Service des mines". There must be many more French cars with this type of stamping. I wonder if the "911 S-E" was stamped on there at Porsche or at the French dealer? Thanks again, and I'll keep an eye on the club911 thread you started to see what other info turns up.
    Current:
    '73 S coupe LHD #1113 Ivory White, very original (currently for sale here: http://bit.ly/1C3JUJF)
    '73 S coupe LHD #1078 Sepia Brown, fully restored (also for sale, here: http://bit.ly/1vLRHUK)
    Previous:
    '73 S Coupe RHD, Reg. "HMY 7K", Light Yellow (sold 1995)

OK here is a good photo of the aluminium data plate for my car, showing that it is a 1973 car (denoted by the third digit of the VIN being a '3') but it has "E" in the type box, not "F").

By the way, I had the car inspected by the respected Porsche consultant and author Peter Morgan, and I have been discussing this issue with him too. He commented that there are many differences from car to car on these models, and that it's all part of the fascination and shows that in those days, Porsche were built by people who often just used the parts that were in the bin next to the production line. He said that, aside from major spec and cosmetic changes, if they had a lot of old parts when a new one was introduced, they often just used up what they had first.

Name:  DSCN1427_crop.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  152.6 KB
    Current:
    '73 S coupe LHD #1113 Ivory White, very original (currently for sale here: http://bit.ly/1C3JUJF)
    '73 S coupe LHD #1078 Sepia Brown, fully restored (also for sale, here: http://bit.ly/1vLRHUK)
    Previous:
    '73 S Coupe RHD, Reg. "HMY 7K", Light Yellow (sold 1995)

The serial number stamping looks correct, but the S E seems to indicate a '72 plate. Car would also need to be an early production before the change from KG to AG in 1973. The rivets have also been redone, was car repainted?
    Chassis number under knee pad would help.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T