Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New member from Brisbane -- Hi to all

New member from Brisbane -- Hi to all

Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself …

I'm in discussions with Michel to buy one of his 912s and he's been incredibly helpful hooking me up with timgt3 for some parts even before we've done the deal. I had to admit to my wife last night that I'd already purchased parts for a car we haven't bought yet … luckily she just laughed at me, which seemed to be a pretty appropriate response!

I believe that Fishcop is in my local area (I'm in Bardon) -- you've been dobbed in by timgt3. I'm going to need some referrals for work on the 912 over the coming months and I'd love to hear from anyone in Brisbane who can point me in the right direction.

As the deal progresses, and I know more about what needs doing as a priority, I'll be sticking my hand up for advice. All and any will be gratefully received.

Thanks
    Simon

Hi Simon

Tim gave me a heads up. Happy to help you out where I can... I'm in the Grange. I'm not familiar with Michel's 912 so I don't know what work you're planning, but generally with these cars, corrosion is the issue and it will be in the usual places. Fortunately pretty much all replacement metal is available.

Are you going for stock or are you looking to make a weekend hotrod? I ask because there are lots of alternatives for the 912/VW engines, and they are much cheaper than the 911 to rebuild. Unfortunately everything else is just as complicated and expensive as a 911
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Hi Simon

Tim gave me a heads up. Happy to help you out where I can... I'm in the Grange. I'm not familiar with Michel's 912 so I don't know what work you're planning, but generally with these cars, corrosion is the issue and it will be in the usual places. Fortunately pretty much all replacement metal is available.

Are you going for stock or are you looking to make a weekend hotrod? I ask because there are lots of alternatives for the 912/VW engines, and they are much cheaper than the 911 to rebuild. Unfortunately everything else is just as complicated and expensive as a 911
    Yup, I believe that the corrosion is going to be first cab off the rank. The suspension pan and firewall first, and get the engine recommissioned and the suspension looked at (it's been in storage for five years). My plan is to get the car safe/reliable/roadworthy first so that I can drive it, then do everything else as time and money becomes available.

At this point the plan is to go stock, but the car's a conversion, so there's no provenance to worry about ruining. It could always end up as a hotrod.

Do you know who the right people to talk to about the corrosion are?

Thumbs up

Cheers and welcome Simon............
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I do my own work, so I can't recommend a body guy off hand. Most panel shops are cut and replace these days with few keeping a true metal worker. You may need to ring around and go and see some shops to get a feel for what it is they like doing - some shops don't touch old cars. A pan replacement is pretty common and a person that knows early porsches should be able to do one in 2 days. BUT I don't feel there is anyone up here who actually "knows" early 911s anymore so they'll be doing it intuitively, and slowly. They will charge by the hour plus materials... Ideally they'll have an alignment bench such as a Cellette and the correct 911 alignment jigs. Get the pan wrong and the car will never drive straight (and may be dangerous) as the front suspension bolts up to it.

Restoration Design is your friend http://restoration-design.com/ but assess the car first and do a complete order as shipping is expensive - you're better of doing it in one big hit. If you let a panel shop order for you, they'll tack on $$. John Pisani at Prostitch in Sydney has the templates for most interior trim pieces and does very good quality work. He also makes a very reasonably priced RHD dash, not perfect, but very nice.

No provenance is great in your circumstance - you can build a bespoke car. Do it right and it'll be very desirable.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

The fun starts when you're ready to build the engine and gearbox... Here's where you have a huge say in the soul of your car. Michael Harris at Promotive Engineering is your man.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

… BUT I don't feel there is anyone up here who actually "knows" early 911s anymore so they'll be doing it intuitively, and slowly.
    Bugger, this is my biggest fear …

No provenance is great in your circumstance - you can build a bespoke car. Do it right and it'll be very desirable.
    As long as it puts a smile on my face, I'll be a happy camper!

The fun starts when you're ready to build the engine and gearbox... Here's where you have a huge say in the soul of your car. Michael Harris at Promotive Engineering is your man.
    I've just had a look at their website, there's some serious work going on there. Nice.

Thanks Chuck!

Hi Simon

Welcome on board - the 912's are rapidly gaining in popularity as they deserve.

I've just tracked down a '65 here in Darwin today that is also a project car for the owner.

Cheers
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076