Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New member from Brisbane -- Hi to all

Simon can tell the tale

a

Sooo …

Flew down down to Canberra on Saturday morning to look at a '76 911. This car:

Most of you will also know that I've been talking to Michel about his '67 912. This car (and in Michel's pics above):

My wife is now officially sick of me talking about, looking at, and agonising over my first Porsche purchase. Secretly I'm hoping that one of the cars is going to be a disaster, and I have the decision made for me. I much prefer the long hoods, but can't afford a pre-'74 911. Next best, I figure, is a 912 or a mid-seventies 911 -- still slim hipped and simple.

Owner of the '76 picks me up from the airport and the car is surprisingly tidy (I've looked at some truly awful cars in my ~$30K price bracket). Car runs well, appears to be straight, I can't find any evidence of accident repair front or back, but I'm a rank amateur so I've got no real idea.

The car is listed as fully restored, which it's not. It has no legitimate history, so it's real condition is completely unknown. Michel helped me with some detective work, and managed to turn up that it's definitely not as restored as the current owner thinks, but for $30K this is absolutely the best car that I've seen and driven. Bear in mind that the last time I drove a 2.7 was probably 12 years ago, and my recent experience is in a '88 cab; and an '84 backdate. Both 3.2s.

However, I like the car, which puts me in a bit of a conundrum. My wife wants a long hood. So, phone call back to base. I let her know that I think that the '76 is probably a good car, but unknown. Which leaves us with our budget spent, and no long hood. So the big question: if she wants the 912, is she prepared to sell the Golf which is her daily driver/kid run-around car?

In a heartbeat, she says, I don't even need to think about it. LOL.

Michel has kindly gone out and trailered the 912 back from where it was in storage, picks me up from the city to give it the once over. Needs lots of work, but in person, the issues were exactly as Michel explained them and less scary than in the photos I had, and in the end I think completely workable.

Argh! This trip wasn't supposed to be working out like this.

Phone call back to wifey -- are you sure, there's going to be a lot of work in this. Is it beautiful she asks. Without a doubt I say. Then do it. Are you sure, this is what you have to deal with:

No question she says. Deal done, deposit agreed upon. Michel is helping me get some bodywork done so the 912 will stay in Canberra for a couple of months while it gets that done and then prepped to drive again, and we'll fly down together and drive it back over a couple of days.

One day in Canberra, two cars. Back to the 911 I go, pay up, get in and at 6.00pm I'm headed back to Brisbane.

Is this what these things on the back are for?

I'm terrified that the 911 is going to implode on the way back. The heater doesn't work, so I'm freezing. I drive through rain (it doesn't leak); a bushfire (it doesn't burst into flames); I keep saying to myself next town I'll stop and sleep, but I'm excited and having a ball. Luckily, I work in a deadline based job so working through the night is a regular occurrence, and one of the things I'm actually good at. So I just keep going. Stops every two hours or so for refreshment:

Back in Brisbane, 9.30am Sunday morning, 25 hours after I left for Canberra. Exhausted and terrified about what I've just done.

So you've bought two? Andrew Begg here is the doyenne of late night 911 interstaters

Don't be scared of of the 912, there is a lot of stuff you can do yourself. My 68 is in pieces right now so you can come and reference it so you know what you need to do. When does it get up here?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

And get rid of the tea-tray... impure.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    So you've bought two? Andrew Begg here is the doyenne of late night 911 interstaters

Don't be scared of of the 912, there is a lot of stuff you can do yourself. My 68 is in pieces right now so you can come and reference it so you know what you need to do. When does it get up here?
    Yes, I'm afraid so … still a couple of months most likely. Michel has a guy who can do the front suspension pan replacement and hopefully another couple of bits and bobs that it's going to need for a safety certificate. Then the plan is to get it home, and then just work through it as time/budget/parts are available.

I'm going to need a lot of help though, so really appreciate the offer of a once-over on yours.

The tea-tray is awful (sorry to those who are fans) and it's a turbo one anyway. It appears to un-bolt, rather than being part of the deck lid, whereas the others I've seen are all one piece.

Look for a new lid. Those trays invariably bend and stretch the lid, when you remove them, there are holes and waves everywhere. Better off selling it complete and replacing. A good painter will match the red up just fine.

Consider getting the pan done locally just in case you need warranty work done later. No shot at Michel's guy - but local can be supervised and followed up upon. No point getting a safety certificate in the ACT - no good here. Timp can recommend a good mobile safety certificate guy too.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

And no doubt someone somewhere will be looking for one!

Good call on the pan, I hadn't considered potential warranty issues at all. Looks like I'm about to start phoning around.

NICE WORK Simon

I think thats a perfect outcome, 2 cars ! Just so you know, your are only one car away from Enthusiast status and 2 cars away from Collector !! Keep it up.

Both look great, good luck with the long hours and the missus..
    Andrew B (Tiger)
    911 69E Historic Production Race Car

Way to go. I just read the whole post and a happy ending. I know someone with a 68 912 on the South side of Brisbane if you need any help. I am sure John can sort you out on it all anyway. Looking forward to catch up on a run somewhere.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    NICE WORK Simon

I think thats a perfect outcome, 2 cars ! Just so you know, your are only one car away from Enthusiast status and 2 cars away from Collector !! Keep it up.

Both look great, good luck with the long hours and the missus..
    You mean this gets worse … oh dear. Lucky the missus is very, very understanding, and clearly a person with the right priorities!