Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I have this massive amount of Early 911 pricing data...

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeldrum21 View Post
    I would think that any early Porsche enthusiast who has a wife would love this data. Hopefully it will show prices increasing overtime to enable to you to justify your next early Porsche purchase to your significant other
    That works both ways. A good friend of mine mentioned what his car was worth and his wife immediatley said " Sell your car so I can get granite countertops and remodel the kitchen!" By the way, he still has his car and a pissed off wife. She'll get over it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Guthrie View Post
    That works both ways. A good friend of mine mentioned what his car was worth and his wife immediatley said " Sell your car so I can get granite countertops and remodel the kitchen!" By the way, he still has his car and a pissed off wife. She'll get over it.
    Bravo for your friend, Christian.

Good to see a man hold onto his car and his testicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Bravo for your friend, Christian.

Good to see a man hold onto his car and his testicles.
    +1..... I know so many that haven't
    Rob Abbott

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    +1..... I know so many that haven't
    I agree. I laugh everytime I read a craigslist ad "wife says it has to go!" Along with the guys manliness.

Right now Hagerty is the best we have. I have no idea how sophisticated their algorithms are but I suspect they're pretty good. The big issue is the size of the data base and how they find cars for this data base. Auctions and eBay are the most obvious.

I think the real question here is what can you provide that we don't get from the Hagerty data?

Zillow gives us predictions about the future. I don't know how good the Zillow predictions really are but it might be something you could try with porsche prices.

Right now Hagerty has the '73 911S in #1 condition at $240,000. I suspect we're going to see these cars go for $300,000 at the Monterey auctions. This is getting really interesting.

Richard Newton
    Porsche Tech Stuff
    Last edited by Richardnew; 06-29-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: sp

The obvious source for a significant amount of their data is from the private sales amounts of their clients which the public never sees. McKeel confirmed this to me during a conversation we had back in January.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

To the original question since I have watched Porsches for a long time and am heavily 'invested' as well since I was an enthusiast turned restorer a long time ago, something I still enjoy a great deal. The people as much as the car.

Valuation is much more than the numbers and I know nothing of statistics although I managed to pass in the university a long time ago. It is deep and murky to me. How you take a limited production car and value condition and the emotion of a potential buyer is a tough nut to crack, since emotion, condition probably counts for more than numbers. And then you have the complication of private sales to muddle up a "market' value approach when the reality is the market is the one car being considered, with some inferential information that might come from supposition.
    Roy Smalley
    member 877

Following on Richard's comments, Hagerty does seem to have very up to date pricing, even ahead of their updates on their web site. They currently insure my car, which is in pieces waiting to be reassembled, for $240k (updated just 2 weeks ago). Yes it is a condition 1 car, but hey, it also needs to be put together. If the discount for being in pieces is 15%, then good versions of the S cars are very close to $300k right now.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    Following on Richard's comments, Hagerty does seem to have very up to date pricing, even ahead of their updates on their web site. They currently insure my car, which is in pieces waiting to be reassembled, for $240k (updated just 2 weeks ago). Yes it is a condition 1 car, but hey, it also needs to be put together. If the discount for being in pieces is 15%, then good versions of the S cars are very close to $300k right now.

Ravi
    "even ahead of their updates on their web site."

I'm no data geek or insurance egghead but even a simple man can figure out that insurers like Hagerty have a tremendous amount to gain by estimating high since premiums are based on value. The data that I would love to see is their total loss ratio. For this particular product it would seem to me that risk is exceptionally low because total losses are rare. A simple "damage" claim is going to cost them the same whether it's a $200k car or a $400k car. Why wouldn't they over estimate values?
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 06-30-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    "even ahead of their updates on their web site."

I'm no data geek or insurance egghead but even a simply man can figure out that insurers like Hagerty have a tremendous amount to gain by estimating high since premiums are based on value. The data that I would love to see is their total loss ratio. For this particular product it would seem to me that risk is exceptionally low because total losses are rare. A simple "damage" claim is going to cost them the same whether it's a $200k car or a $400k car. Why wouldn't they over estimate values?
    Well said. That is the game they are playing
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624