Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

We are on the same page, just wanted another opinion, a tool roll expert I am not.

The verdict is in.

Tool geeks and those not so geeky too,

Here is a confirming data on what we already know about 73.5 tool kits: Selected Special Steel Wrenches, Reversible Screwdriver; Hepewe Pliers, Tie bag (missing ties as they often are). This is from a highly original T Targa just now on eBay. If this was a couple years ago, the car would be sold by now; not mine; solid car withTTG lights, sports seats, factory air-needs full fairly easy (the body does look good) resto. Happy Thanksgiving!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Porsch...Fd3p2o&vxp=mtr
    Thanks.
    -Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 11-27-2019 at 08:14 AM.

901 ers and early 911 ers,

Here is one of several pictures of the 901 prototype 13325 from late 1963 posted by member "haul". Note the heavy black vinyl tabbed bag. We can't see the inside color, so this may be a re-purposed 356C bag but it shows, at least, the intention to use a tabbed bag in early 911s. Here is a link to haul's post. Thanks.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...rent-pics-1963
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Allen/all,

A very small pet peeve on terminology. I am not convinced the term 73.5 is the best one to describe a toolkit configuration used for some of model year 73; that term may not be so applicable to all geographic markets so maybe not the most inclusive descriptive term if this forum that aspires to be more international.

Tool rolls /kits of this type and these contents were found in many geographical markets in 73. For me the 73.5 shorthand unofficial term tends to conjure up the CIS cars of NA markets which were obviously not a ROW offering . I recognise various other changes beyond this engine happened during MY 73 so maybe 73.5 is a suitable. Having said that I don't think of the 911744 Carrera RS model when I hear 73.5 even though it was launched in the first week of October 72 i.e. a tad later than the factory's 73 new model year refresh cycle after the summer break.

As explained previously here have certainly seen this configuration of toolkit in 11/ and 12 /72 produced 911 examples . Seen in some T E And RS of well known provenanc. Also as shown in black and white in the thread this configuration toolkit was in a RHD RS 91136000xx press car where the roadtester's write up specifically mentions the reversible screwdriver among other contents consistent with this configuration.

By the way if this somewhat scruffy but pleasingly unrestored original is posted as another examplar ( did I miss it but) is the tapered plug wrench missing... or maybe it is just hidden?

Another point small point where available the belt date codes give s a month/year albeit with supplier lead time delays so showing them of possible on presumed unmolested kits is quite instructive assuming ....

Good Lord... date matching belts in toolkits . I hear some heads exploding

Keep up the good work trainspotting these toolkits.

Steve
    Hi Steve, You're right 73.5 is not the best, nor accurate for that matter, since RSs had the "73.5 kit." Maybe just 1973 kit would be better. Yes, the scruffy kit apparently is missing its spark plug wrench but otherwise looks indicative. Correctly dated fan belts are the icing on the cake for some tool kit guys and for early 356 kits, for example, they can sell for $100s of dollars. There are also vendors making early dated reproduction fan belts for the 356. Thanks.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Early tool kit geeks,

It has been pointed out in a Private Message to me by a member who wishes to remain anonymous that "it is presumptious to say these shinny tabbed bags" are the "correct" ones for all these early 901s and 911s or "One Swallow does not a summer make." He is correct, of course, in that from just few examples it is not statistically valid to then assume that over 1,000 cars have this bag. I will say this, however, Out of the six or so original (not restored-mostly rusty cars in "ads" for eBay and other sources) with tool kits, ALL have these tabbed bags.

Please other members with knowledge of this topic, Chime in ! We only know what we learn from lots of folks and lots of examples. Thanks !

-Allen-
    Post #16 in this thread shows two '65 bags w/riveted clasps stamped IKA 1794 without tabs. I've also got a '65 bag that came from an original owner with the same clasps and no tabs. Same texture outside as in post #16, inside color a bit different. Quite sure it's an original 1965. That's at least three data points w/o tabs.

Also - Another example, Soterik posted this one of a 901 bag with a 12mm spark plug wrench. Riveted clasps, slight texture to the bag, and no tabs.
    Last edited by Bruce Smith; 12-10-2019 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Smith View Post
    Post #16 in this thread shows two '65 bags w/riveted clasps stamped IKA 1794 without tabs. I've also got a '65 bag that came from an original owner with the same clasps and no tabs. Same texture outside as in post #16, inside color a bit different. Quite sure it's an original 1965. That's at least three data points w/o tabs.
    That poster is, IMHO, not always a reliable source. Doesn't mean that there weren't '65 bags without clasps. There probably were (especially if Eric L. thinks so). But I think it's pretty clear they were the minority based on the data so far.

Re. Bags with rivets on clasps guys,

Did I miss something? I don't know that anyone posted that riveted clasps meant the bag had tabs? Did we? I've had many bags with rivets; some with tabs and many w/o. Thanks.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Smith View Post
    Also - Another example, Soterik posted this one of a 901 bag with a 12mm spark plug wrench. Riveted clasps, slight texture to the bag, and no tabs.
    Hi Bruce, Not sure what your point is. All SWB kits should have a spark plug wrench in 10mm or 12mm, the 12mm was NOT unique to 901 kits. Did you read that somewhere.?But IMHO 901 bags did have Clasps with tabs. The pictured bag, therefore is NOT a 901 bag, however it sure is a 911 bag ! Thanks.

-Allen-