Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

Early 901/911 Tool bags

Tool geeks,

Here we have a thick, shinny, two-tone bag with tabs (like on the 356 C/SC). Note, this is the second bag we've seen with one tab missing, torn off. This one is found in a highly original March 1965 911, 300517. Yet another confirmation that these are the de facto standard for early 901s and 911s thru about 301xxx. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 05-06-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    the de facto standard for early 901s and 911s thru about 301000.
    Just confirming that 301100 came with this style bag.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Just confirming that 301100 came with this style bag.
    From my database I'd say yes highly likely. Thanks

Allen

From my database I'd say yes highly likely. Thanks

Allen
    lol. No, I own 301100. I'm confirming it came with the tabbed took bag. Aren't I in your database? I think you even have a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    lol. No, I own 301100. I'm confirming it came with the tabbed took bag. Aren't I in your database? I think you even have a photo.
    Oh great! On my iPad, no DB access, and not sure if I had your car. Well I have a tabbed bag with it now . Thanks
    Allen

Oh great! On my iPad, no DB access, and not sure if I had your car. Well I have a tabbed bag with it now . Thanks
    Allen
    OK. In fact I do have 301100 in my DB and it is shown with a tabbed bag but I didn't realize it is your car ! Somewhere between 301100 and 301200 non-tabbed bags start to show up and no more tabbed bags; but I just have few cars with tool kits in that range. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 05-07-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Early tool kit geeks,

It has been pointed out in a Private Message to me by a member who wishes to remain anonymous that "it is presumptious to say these shinny tabbed bags" are the "correct" ones for all these early 901s and 911s or "One Swallow does not a summer make." He is correct, of course, in that from just few examples it is not statistically valid to then assume that over 1,000 cars have this bag. I will say this, however, Out of the six or so original (not restored-mostly rusty cars in "ads" for eBay and other sources) with tool kits, ALL have these tabbed bags.

Please other members with knowledge of this topic, Chime in ! We only know what we learn from lots of folks and lots of examples. Thanks !

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 06-03-2019 at 05:04 AM.

Early tool kit geeks,

It has been pointed out in a Private Message to me by a member who wishes to remain anonymous that "it is presumptious to say these shinny tabbed bags" are the "correct" ones for all these early 901s and 911s or "One Swallow does not a summer make." He is correct, of course, in that from justt few examples it is not statistically valid to then assume that over 1,000 cars have this bag. I will say this, however, Out of the six or so original (not restored-mostly rusty cars in "ads" for eBay and other sources) with tool kits, ALL have these tabbed bags.

Please other members with knowledge of this topic, Chime in ! We only know what we learn from lots of folks and lots of examples. Thanks !

-Allen-
    And BTW, IF the tabbed two-tone bag is NOT the de facto standard, what other type(s) of bags were found in the earliest 901/911s? Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 06-03-2019 at 05:03 AM.

My question is about the 19mm lug wrenches. I assume the taper on the lug wrench was to act as the handle for the older VW/bug style jack. When Porsche changed to the green dot screw jack, there would not be a need for the slimmer tip on the lug wrench. So my question is could a 73 tool roll be correct with a non tapered lug wrench? I have someone with a 73 they bought new and it has a non tapered lug wrench. Patina on all the tools looks consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    My question is about the 19mm lug wrenches. I assume the taper on the lug wrench was to act as the handle for the older VW/bug style jack. When Porsche changed to the green dot screw jack, there would not be a need for the slimmer tip on the lug wrench. So my question is could a 73 tool roll be correct with a non tapered lug wrench? I have someone with a 73 they bought new and it has a non tapered lug wrench. Patina on all the tools looks consistent.
    IMHO I would say it is unlikely a '73 kit came with a non-tapered lug wrench. You make a good point about the taper not being needed but I've never seen a non-tapered one in an original kit. Could a non-tapered one be put in a kit during the transition to 1974 cars? Of course it could but, frankly, the tapered one is the de facto standard. If it were my car, I'd have both with a fun little story. Thanks.

-Allen-