Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Tool geeks,

Do you have a set of Drop Forged Steel (DFS), small font with non-machined ends like the ones posted just below? If so, PLEASE post a photo of your 17/19mm. Why? Some say it doesn't exist.
    I've purchased dozens of these wrench sets over the last several years, and looked at dozens more, and have yet to see a 17/19 with non-machined ends. I'm confidant they don't exist which is why I'm of the opinion that only the wrenches with machined ends are 100% correct for our cars.

But I'm open to being proven wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Allen,

What variations existed in original short-prong P208 tools? I have seen differing stamp locations, and slightly differing shapes for example.

Thanks,

Scott
    Scott, Yes, indeed the stampings are not consistent just as you've stated. I'll check my small collection and see if I have any to demonstrate that fact. But, for sure. Yes. Thanks.

-Allen-

Non-polished end DFS wrenches

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    I've purchased dozens of these wrench sets over the last several years, and looked at dozens more, and have yet to see a 17/19 with non-machined ends. I'm confidant they don't exist which is why I'm of the opinion that only the wrenches with machined ends are 100% correct for our cars.

Well, I think this 18/19mm (no NOT Porsche and sold on eBay from Germany in a "Porsche set," ) I think proves that larger wrench sizes were made with small font and non-machined ends. Now we just need to find a 17/19mm. As I stated, I wish I'd paid more attention, say, ten years ago from what kits wrenches like this came from. Personally I do think they were authentic Porsche but, YES, the large font DFS are "the standard" Thanks.

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 02-01-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Thank you Allen.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Scott, Yes, indeed the stampings are not consistent just as you've stated. I'll check my small collection and see if I have any to demonstrate that fact. But, for sure. Yes. Thanks.

-Allen-
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

P 208

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Thank you Allen.

Scott
    Here you go. Out of four you can argue only two are close, identical? Makes sense, right?, looks like they apparently were hand stamped. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 01-28-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Thank you again, Allen. I have one with even further variation, and it looks like its a million years old. I will post it at some point, as I wonder where the heck it came from. It doesn't look like the Sierra Madre knockoff either, as the P208 stamping is on the flip side. Additionally, the shape of the handle end is rounder.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post

I think this is a fact, but there is a two variations of font. Both have the same height, but one a slightly more narrow than the other.
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/

More P208's

Some stamped on one side, some on the other, some stamps flipped from the others...

No idea where the black one came from, but I've owned it a LONG time, and it is also stamped P208

1973 1/2 Tool Bag

Tool kit geeks,

This is the de facto "correct" tool kit bag for a mid-1973 911 and Carrera (RS). IMHO, the similar snap closure bag is also correct but this is the accepted correct bag. Comments please? Thanks.

-Allen-
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (92.2 KB, 1060 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (249.6 KB, 1059 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (191.5 KB, 1067 views)

10MM allen wrench font types ?

top: small font DIN 911 SW10 KLEIN GERMANY
    bottom: in a large font DIN 911 SW10 ...and in a smaller font about the same size as the above KLEIN W. GERMANY

comments please.
    84102 purchased in '85 FINALLY started driving it (2/2015)
    '73 911T original paint sunroof coupe waiting in the wings
    3 gauge Holbert 912... now for something completely different
    1940 Mercury town sedan