Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

I just wanted to add my bag to the discussion. It came with #300338 (Jan. '65 build). Has the two-tone, thicker vinyl and the riveted/bent tabs clasps. Pretty decent shape with the exception of the torn pull. I've been told that this is one of the rare ones. It's my understanding that the bags were supplied by the dealers so it was kind of what they had on hand??? And if anyone has a 12mm allen wrench let me know!

My '65 Tool Bag.jpg

Cheers!

SWB, Nothing better....
    CraigF #2695

Quote Originally Posted by CraigF View Post
    I just wanted to add my bag to the discussion. It came with #300338 (Jan. '65 build). Has the two-tone, thicker vinyl and the riveted/bent tabs clasps. Pretty decent shape with the exception of the torn pull. I've been told that this is one of the rare ones. It's my understanding that the bags were supplied by the dealers so it was kind of what they had on hand??? And if anyone has a 12mm allen wrench let me know!

My '65 Tool Bag.jpg

Cheers!
    Nice bag. Yes, probably through about the first 1,000 Porsche 901/911's had these bags. And one torn or missing tab is the "standard" almost. Thanks for posting !!

-Allen-

CEM is diffidently the King of eBay tool kits. Looking at a his posts, I find quite a number of interesting points.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-P...UAAOSwDABeN5p7

Never heard of 10.000V screwdrivers in 1968 tool kits. Likewise, never heard of SS wrenches used that early. Plus Hapewe pliers in 6 versions? I recall a few, but don't recall all the differences. I don't recall any showing up this early in SWB tool kits. From what I have seen/read/heard the earliest Hapewe was used is 71 or 72 possibly.
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/

Quote Originally Posted by juche_namja View Post
    CEM is diffidently the King of eBay tool kits. Looking at a his posts, I find quite a number of interesting points.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-P...UAAOSwDABeN5p7

Never heard of 10.000V screwdrivers in 1968 tool kits. Likewise, never heard of SS wrenches used that early. Plus Hapewe pliers in 6 versions? I recall a few, but don't recall all the differences. I don't recall any showing up this early in SWB tool kits. From what I have seen/read/heard the earliest Hapewe was used is 71 or 72 possibly.
    Hi Jim,

I agree with all your comments, including about Cem, the seller of the subject kit. The kit is a outlier and I can't explain it. If someone has such a kit in their car, they will have to have a good "story" for why that kit is correct. Generally such "stories" are met with skepticism. Perhaps a list member can reduce our questioning? Thanks.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Hi Jim,

I agree with all your comments, including about Cem, the seller of the subject kit. The kit is a outlier and I can't explain it. If someone has such a kit in their car, they will have to have a good "story" for why that kit is correct. Generally such "stories" are met with skepticism. Perhaps a list member can reduce our questioning? Thanks.

-Allen-
    I'm with Jim and Allen on this. He may be quite the seller, but that doesn't make him (and quite the opposite) a good resource for authenticity. He hasn't been around long enough to know what came out of a particular car and then be able to divine whether correct or not, he's cobbling stuff together. Note that I don't think the plug wrench is a correct 912 wrench. Imho, and in mostly general terms that I believe: The bag is 1968, the drivers are the bulbous end 1969 version. Wrenches were much later absolutely so they should be DFS as we all know them. Hapewe was much later, 72 possibly. This jibes with essentially what Jim and Allen are saying.

As time goes by and more cars have changed hands over time, and the cars have become worth so much more in $ terms, it's easy to say "oh, Porsche just used up what was on the shelf..." or "that item started early as they had run out of the others"... to me don't hold water in most cases unless documented here a while ago, or you truly have a long term owner who knows that is hasn't been screwed with.

Me (I?) and others have pulled parts out of cars, and bought cheap cars years ago that there was NO reason to be swapping out a pair of pliers or wrenches, and there are significant consistencies that can be materially shown here in old threads and original cars. And, it's not just toolkits, it's quit a few other areas of these cars as well. As the "old" members here stop playing with these cars/parts the material needs to be here to validate what truly is correct or generally assumed to be correct.

Climbing down from my soapbox, and note that I haven't started drinking (yet) today

E

Thought I'd share one of my finds from last weekend's Phoenix Club swap meet.

Originally delivered with an early (and long gone) '65 car and stored away for many years. Tabbed clasps, 12mm spark plug tool and allen wrench, all the goodies.

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

Hi John,

Very nice ! (re. post #244, early kit) Confirms everything we know. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 03-06-2020 at 08:44 AM.

Logged in to the forum after a few years, was good to see my name bashed here I hope you are guys doing well.

I will start sharing some information here. There are 4 types of 10,000V screwdrivers. First version is bright red non-translucent handle versions, saw them in as early as 1968 912 tool kits. Second version is the dark red handle versions, the handles are larger than the later versions. I saw them in 1969 tool kits mostly. The ones in the listing Jim referenced have dark red handles. Later versions are the most common ones we see in LWB tool kits, translucent handles that are slightly lighter than the ones in my tool kit that was listed. They have two versions as most folks know, one with the smaller diameter extensions around the blade and the ones without. I do not know if they were meant for different years or Porsche used two different vendors.

In terms of eBay listings, I put the tool kits together unless I state in the listing. That tool kit people are critizing, if you put a nice set of DFS wrenches ($500-$700), fish skin pliers ($200-$400), Kleins ($500-$1000), do you think a 1968/69 912 owner will pay $3000 for a tool kit? The tool kit has all original tools ( I will check the 912 wrench per Eric's comments) and original tool bag, it was a good deal for what you would get. For SWB tool kits, I have listed only one untouched tool kit recently and I stated that it was the only tool kit I have had that I can tell it was unmolested. It was a 1966 912 tool kit in exceptional condition with all original tools and belt, it didn't even sell for $3000. I could part it out and get $3500 for everything individually, but didn't have the heart to do so as I know how hard it is to find one. I will keep it for a few years and re-list it.

I do not disclose all the information I know as I am tired of people copying my listing texts and listing their stuff a little cheaper than mine. eBay is not a forum and I do not feel like I need to educate people on eBay. There are decent amount of reproduction tools and bags used in eBay tool kit listings, I do not sneak in reproductions like some others may do. I share honest feedback on PelicanParts forum, as it is a forum. You may think my reasoning is flawed or not agree with it but it is what it is.

I always list the tool kits as +/-1 year as we all know there was not that much precision in what you would get in your car when you purchase it. Trying to make people understand that there are many tool kit experts out there but you shouldn't disregard a nice tool kit just because experts tell you it is not correct for your car. I have been contacted by many people throughout the years that told me their tool kit did not match what the "experts" were saying and they were the original owner of their cars and the tool kit came with their car. I am not 80 years old but I learned a lot from very fine gentlemen who were kind enough to share their knowledge with me. Most have passed away through out the years or not capable of being in front of a computer anymore unfortunately.

In terms Selected Steel wrenches, I have had partial SWB 912 tool kits that had a mixture of DFS and SS wrenches. The tool kits are from the 1960's, so they may have been replaced some point of their lives. I have been contacted by a few early 912 owners that stated their tool kit came with the car and they were original owners, and they had SS wrenches in their tool kits. I do not know why the 912 tool kits were treated as the red-headed stepchilds and some non-ideal tools were used but this is what I have observed so far. I have some SWB 912 tool bags also that are thinner than the 911 tool bags, not sure if they were used for 911 tool kits also.

I will post some tool kit and tool bag pictures if they mandate a two-week curfew in Houston. It is not possible to tell the differences on some bags and tools unless you have compare them side by side. I buy whatever I can, compare them to what I have, and list if I have duplicate.Below are the different SWB tool bags I have, and I am missing the elephant hide vinyl and some rivet type styles that I know of. I keep pictures of different items that I sell also, I will dig up some original unmolested tool kit pictures that I sold in the recent years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ozbeycem View Post
    Logged in to the forum after a few years, was good to see my name bashed here I hope you are guys doing well.

I will start sharing some information here. There are 4 types of 10,000V screwdrivers. First version is bright red non-translucent handle versions, saw them in as early as 1968 912 tool kits. Second version is the dark red handle versions, the handles are larger than the later versions. I saw them in 1969 tool kits mostly. The ones in the listing Jim referenced have dark red handles. Later versions are the most common ones we see in LWB tool kits, translucent handles that are slightly lighter than the ones in my tool kit that was listed. They have two versions as most folks know, one with the smaller diameter extensions around the blade and the ones without. I do not know if they were meant for different years or Porsche used two different vendors.

In terms of eBay listings, I put the tool kits together unless I state in the listing. That tool kit people are critizing, if you put a nice set of DFS wrenches ($500-$700), fish skin pliers ($200-$400), Kleins ($500-$1000), do you think a 1968/69 912 owner will pay $3000 for a tool kit? The tool kit has all original tools ( I will check the 912 wrench per Eric's comments) and original tool bag, it was a good deal for what you would get. For SWB tool kits, I have listed only one untouched tool kit recently and I stated that it was the only tool kit I have had that I can tell it was unmolested. It was a 1966 912 tool kit in exceptional condition with all original tools and belt, it didn't even sell for $3000. I could part it out and get $3500 for everything individually, but didn't have the heart to do so as I know how hard it is to find one. I will keep it for a few years and re-list it.

I do not disclose all the information I know as I am tired of people copying my listing texts and listing their stuff a little cheaper than mine. eBay is not a forum and I do not feel like I need to educate people on eBay. There are decent amount of reproduction tools and bags used in eBay tool kit listings, I do not sneak in reproductions like some others may do. I share honest feedback on PelicanParts forum, as it is a forum. You may think my reasoning is flawed or not agree with it but it is what it is.

I always list the tool kits as +/-1 year as we all know there was not that much precision in what you would get in your car when you purchase it. Trying to make people understand that there are many tool kit experts out there but you shouldn't disregard a nice tool kit just because experts tell you it is not correct for your car. I have been contacted by many people throughout the years that told me their tool kit did not match what the "experts" were saying and they were the original owner of their cars and the tool kit came with their car. I am not 80 years old but I learned a lot from very fine gentlemen who were kind enough to share their knowledge with me. Most have passed away through out the years or not capable of being in front of a computer anymore unfortunately.

In terms Selected Steel wrenches, I have had partial SWB 912 tool kits that had a mixture of DFS and SS wrenches. The tool kits are from the 1960's, so they may have been replaced some point of their lives. I have been contacted by a few early 912 owners that stated their tool kit came with the car and they were original owners, and they had SS wrenches in their tool kits. I do not know why the 912 tool kits were treated as the red-headed stepchilds and some non-ideal tools were used but this is what I have observed so far. I have some SWB 912 tool bags also that are thinner than the 911 tool bags, not sure if they were used for 911 tool kits also.

I will post some tool kit and tool bag pictures if they mandate a two-week curfew in Houston. It is not possible to tell the differences on some bags and tools unless you have compare them side by side. I buy whatever I can, compare them to what I have, and list if I have duplicate.Below are the different SWB tool bags I have, and I am missing the elephant hide vinyl and some rivet type styles that I know of. I keep pictures of different items that I sell also, I will dig up some original unmolested tool kit pictures that I sold in the recent years.
    Welcome CEM ! OK..So please post specific photos of specific kits (generalizations are not too informative) with comments/labels when you do. Let's see what we can learn together. Disclosure. I've bought some stuff from CEM and it has always worked out. I will also note that PhD's and MBA's (me ) none of us know it all ! Thanks.
    -Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Partial inventory.... I can do this too!
    Hi Eric,

Do i see an authentic "901 bag" in there? Thanks.

-Allen-