Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 from 1965 purchased, help me with restoration please ;)

How the the car hobby in Poland these days?

Ted Zombek

Ok!

Now I need to fix situation around the doors...
    What is correct hood badge for 65'? With orange or red strips?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by terecha View Post
    hi!
    I started my restoration. But some problems did show up. Please go to the link
    http://www.forzamotorsports.com/1965...ea/default.htm
    Seats look not very correct, was the leather perforated in this shape in 1965? Also engine cover and fan were red?
    What is also not correct?
    Porsche did use perforated leather in 1965-1966 911s. Here's a scan from a 1965 brochure showing perforated black leather.

Name:  April 65 Page 03_ps.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  April 65 Page 03_ps_seat.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  112.2 KB

The perforations in your car look bigger, but maybe that's embedded dirt in your light-colored leather.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Ok!

Now I need to fix situation around the doors...
    What is correct hood badge for 65'? With orange or red strips?
    For 1965 through 1973 Porsche 911s and 912s, the hood crest had orange stripes. See http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...ditions/crest/
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

Hi Mick!

Thx a lot. Coa says it is from 1965, but I suppose engine can be younger. I am going to find correct engine. It is not impossible.
    BTW you live in nice province. I visited your area in 2010

What to do next with my car?
    Your car, chassis # 302836 is a 1966 model year car built late in 1965. The engine, number 900867, is probably from a 1965 model year car with chassis number around 300796 (my car, chassis # 301382, came with engine # P-901505). Engine 900867 would originally have had Solex carburetors and the engine originally in you car also would have had Solex carburetors (Porsche switched to Weber carburetors around February 1966).

So, if your engine is in its original configuration, it would be "correct" for your car.

You mentioned you now have a red shroud on your engine. It would originally have had a black shroud. It looks like you now have Weber carburetors, be advised that switching back to the original Solex carburetors requires lots of hard-to-find parts: carburetors, manifolds, carburetor linkages, air cleaner, and the "tandem" fuel pump. I would put that off until later.

If I were working on your car, I would start by repairing the bodywork. Also, you need to have complete engine shrouds so all the cooling air goes into your engine. This is from PET:

Name:  911_ducts.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  31.6 KB

You need (at least):

# 5 901.106.321.01 HOT AIR SOCKET /L/H -67 1 911 /S
    # 6 901.106.036.01 HOT AIR SOCKET /R/H 1
    Last edited by NeunElf; 10-21-2014 at 05:15 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

I'm not really understanding the timeline on this thread, which jumps from 2014 to 2013 and back again. But anyway, from the photos, you have a lot of bodywork to do before you need to worry about the hood crest.

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    Your car, chassis # 302836 is a 1966 model year car built late in 1965. The engine, number 900867, is probably from a 1965 model year car with chassis number around 300796 (my car, chassis # 301382, came with engine # P-901505). Engine 900867 would originally have had Solex carburetors and the engine originally in you car also would have had Solex carburetors (Porsche switched to Weber carburetors around February 1966).

So, if your engine is in its original configuration, it would be "correct" for your car.

You mentioned you now have a red shroud on your engine. It would originally have had a black shroud. It looks like you now have Weber carburetors, be advised that switching back to the original Solex carburetors requires lots of hard-to-find parts: carburetors, manifolds, carburetor linkages, air cleaner, and the "tandem" fuel pump. I would put that off until later.

If I were working on your car, I would start by repairing the bodywork. Also, you need to have complete engine shrouds so all the cooling air goes into your engine. This is from PET:

Name:  911_ducts.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  31.6 KB

You need (at least):

# 5 901.106.321.01 HOT AIR SOCKET /L/H -67 1 911 /S
    # 6 901.106.036.01 HOT AIR SOCKET /R/H 1
    Amazing answers Jim! Thx a lot. Yes I have webers now. I am still looking for original engine and hope to find it.
    Methinks I wouldn't not switch to the Solexes again, because it's reputation is worse.
    I will start bodywork right now.
    Another small question.
    Flywheel and clutch are missing. Which flywheel is the the best? Oem one or lighter replacement. Any suggestions about clutch?
    Are oversize pistons available or any other repair way if the engine is seized?

Amazing answers Jim! Thx a lot. Yes I have webers now. I am still looking for original engine and hope to find it.
    Methinks I wouldn't not switch to the Solexes again, because it's reputation is worse.
    I will start bodywork right now.
    Another small question.
    Flywheel and clutch are missing. Which flywheel is the the best? Oem one or lighter replacement. Any suggestions about clutch?
    Are oversize pistons available or any other repair way if the engine is seized?
    I'm not at all an expert on performance modifications, so if you plan on a highly modified engine you probably need to get information from folks other than me. But...

SOLEX Carburetors

My car has its original Solex carburetors and I've always thought they worked quite well, There might be a slight flat spot around 2,500 rpm, but there's so little torque below 3,000 rpm it's hard to tell. I should point out that Porsche tried three different sets of carburetor jets in the Solex carbs. Here they are from the little spec book:

Name:  Solex.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  133.7 KB

Maybe the original jets (up to engine # 900323) didn't work very well. At least with the fuels we have in the USA now, the second set works well. I've heard that the third set of jets (after engine 90360) cured all the problems, but Porsche had already signed the contract with Weber.

There is one problem with the Solexes: they depend upon the mechanical tandem fuel pump to fill the carburetors (the electric pump fills a float chamber in the intake manifold) so starting the car after it's been sitting and the fuel evaporates from the carburetors can be challenging. It's the same problem Porsche 356 owners face.

There is one big problem with going back to Solex carburetors. As the values of the early 911s have increased, many people have sought to return cars to absolutely original configurations. The prices of Solex carburetors for these cars (not to mention air cleaners, linkages, and tandem fuel pumps) have gone up. I've heard that a set might cost on the order of US$ 5,000.

Flywheels

A flywheel is an odd thing to go missing...

If you aren't making a lot of performance modifications, I don't see any reason to go with a lightened flywheel. The throttle response of the stock engine is incredible!

One thing I should point out about flywheels in the early engines is they don't have the same teeth to engage the starter as the later engines. Here's the diagram from the little spec book which deals with flywheel resurfacing. Note what it says about gear tooth modulus.

Name:  Flywheel.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  121.3 KB

Make sure the flywheel you get matches your starter. In the terminology used by American Volkswagen enthusiasts, the '65 engine has a 6 volt flywheel. The flywheel which was originally attached to the engine you have now would have had the unusual 2.5 gear tooth modulus. Maybe it was removed to be put in another old car or maybe they couldn't find a starter that would work with it.

The stock clutch works very well with a stock engine.

Pistons and Cylinders

There are a lot of suppliers of pistons and cylinders for early Porsche 911 engines. Mahle makes sets, as does LN Engineering. Wössner at least makes pistons.

I'm not sure how much oversize you can go without machining the cylinder heads or the case. If you increase the displacement A LOT you may need to change carburetor jetting or get cylinder heads with bigger valves. You can probably switch to the 84 mm pistons (for a 911E) for a 2.2 liter displacement without too much difficulty, but check with an expert.

There's nothing at all wrong with keeping the engine at 2 liters and the car might be more valuable if it's more original.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    Porsche did use perforated leather in 1965-1966 911s. Here's a scan from a 1965 brochure showing perforated black leather.

Name:  April 65 Page 03_ps.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  April 65 Page 03_ps_seat.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  112.2 KB

The perforations in your car look bigger, but maybe that's embedded dirt in your light-colored leather.
    I'm about 99.9% sure those seats are vinyl, not leather.

Ciao

Jim

I have limited sources for this (my car has vinyl seats with houndstooth) but Charlie White's website http://derwhites356literature.com/De...iterature.html shows samples of 1966 vinyl and houndstooth inserts (search for "1966 Porsche 911/912 Color and Interior Sample Book" about a third of the way down).

The vinyl looks very different from those photos in the 1965 brochure--it's sort of a basketweave.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe