Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Fire totals Speedster, RS, RSR

Banned
    I truly believe the village whore can someday make a fine wife if properly redeemed but if that is in fact the same car would someone pay retail for it? Heat causes strange things to sheet metal and changes it forever.

It would take fortitude and chutzpah to ignore all of the pointing and cupped whispers.

I believe the car in post #107 was a '73 RSR (vs. RS)...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    I believe the car in post #107 was a '73 RSR (vs. RS)...
    I agree - that picture in post #107 looks like the orange RSR, but in the 2014 reports on the fire an RS is also mentioned.

"We took advice on some points: for example, making sure welds in certain areas were to the not-so aesthetic but authentic factory standard. Such small details are important when working with historic machines."

Seriously? Kind of funny why they, rightly so, went to this effort for the welds but didn't take the time to paint the car correctly. The trunk, interior and underside of the car should look much differently. Instead it looks just like every other shiny restoration.

Name:  Tuthill-Porsche-Bespoke-911-Build-22.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  109.9 KB
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Love the BMW fuel cell lol
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds View Post
    "We took advice on some points: for example, making sure welds in certain areas were to the not-so aesthetic but authentic factory standard. Such small details are important when working with historic machines."

Seriously? Kind of funny why they, rightly so, went to this effort for the welds but didn't take the time to paint the car correctly. The trunk, interior and underside of the car should look much differently. Instead it looks just like every other shiny restoration.

Name:  Tuthill-Porsche-Bespoke-911-Build-22.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  109.9 KB
    Agree Brian. Having said that Tuthill are long established business in UK and have afaik a good reputation in Porsche community having done work for David Richards/Prodrive neighbours back in the day on the Rothmans SCRS (among many others) I'd say they are probably better known for (historic) rally racing preparation work/participation/support than doing detailed authentic restoration of Porsche roadcars.

Tuthill continued work for Prodrive including during the legendary Subaru WRC period so they're a quality outfit. If I had a classic rally car they'd be high on my list but I've not used them personally.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-21-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Any Porsche of note can and should be brought back from a horrific mess if possible. Remember when they found 550-0001 in a shoe factory in Guadalajara? Very little was left, but what was left was the first Spyder. It is now fully restored and the Porsche world is a better place for it.
    You can read the full story here:
    https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/...-giant-killer/
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

May be,just may be the owner specced like this to be used rather than polished or inspected by some concours judge ,to use on our unforgiving roads,i have used tuthills and competed against them many times,a great company going from strength to strength.
    Great job it’s survived and to be enjoyed again,hopefully the rsr will rise again also.

Since ChrisSeven isn't here anymore (sure he would have explained it thoroughly, with data), here is a good lecture:

https://www.steelconstruction.info/F...ural_steelwork

It's for hot rolled steel structures, just worst for cold rolled steel...

As I guess that in a fire like that temp remains below 600°C (looks like the fuchs are still in one piece on a previous picture) so, there COULD be some steel weakening in such case (should with cold rolled), and I hope they carried some hardness tests all over the tub before resurrecting it.

Anyway, I would be really suspicious if I had to put my bottom in a fire damaged car, and drive it fast (which I can't anyway)

Olivier.

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Which VIN number is the viper green RS? Funny they say it was a very original car, weren't all cars very original when they left the assembly line? X ray the VIN number, do know what to make out of that statement.

Cees