Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Fire totals Speedster, RS, RSR

Quote Originally Posted by fourteenten View Post
    Which VIN number is the viper green RS? Funny they say it was a very original car, weren't all cars very original when they left the assembly line? X ray the VIN number, do know what to make out of that statement.

Cees
    Cees I suspect that they brought in Mark Waring or someone similar to use the special forensic Xray (or whatever it is) machine to make sure that the VIN had not been restamped at some point in time - ie it was wearing the vin that had been originally stamped into it before they started the restoration (there are far too many "RS's" and others that dont appear to be wearing the vin that the shell was born with these days )
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Banned
    I always find it puzzling that a "great" shop sees the need to promote themselves. And in this case possibly at the expense of this RS owner. Once this VIN becomes public (and it will), the value of this car will be diminished. Now if the proprietor of Tuthill owns the car he certainly has the freedom to expose its ravaged past. But the optics still scream self promotion.

Obviously our culture doesn't value humility as it once did.

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Doubt it is X ray, more likely magnetic, like NMR or MRI based measurement, nuclear magnetic resonance. https://regulaforensics.com/en/produ...n_number/7505/

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by fourteenten View Post
    Doubt it is X ray, more likely magnetic, like NMR or MRI based measurement, nuclear magnetic resonance. https://regulaforensics.com/en/produ...n_number/7505/

Cees
    The nearest 'VIN Checker' to Tuthills would be Neil Bainbridge at BS Motorsport. The process is described as "scanning" the VIN to detect "metallurgical differences".

It's not NMR or MRI. It is basically the same technology used to read magnetic tape or conventional disk drive. Even when you rerecord over an audio tape, there is a remnant of the previous ferromagnetic signature (which is why you can also recover data on a disk drive unless a very, very sophisticated magnetization scrambling procedure is used. The magnetic domains have memory that is hard to completely wipe out. So even if someone altered the old VIN, there will be a tell. And of course if a different VIN panel was welded in, that's easy to detect.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    You are right, I was wrong...the device does not create a stong magnetic field, would be too dangerous anyway. There is a market for this, suddenly we hear about cars come the that did not have the original engine and now after resto they are matching!
    Last edited by fourteenten; 01-21-2021 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

I am not sure how long 9113601008 has been a Friesinger's but "restoration" is well under way by looking at this
    It is hard to see properly but it looks like the body shell apart from the roof structure etc was relatively unscathed - but it is not clear if the photos of the vin and production number and other parts in reasonable condition are before or after any major work was done on them
    https://www.freisinger-motorsport.de...ail/10011.html

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hey, Adam . . .

Brutal

And I wondered how the Sacramento Thing turned-out?

. . . and I'm still waiting for 9113601008 to turn up . . .

. . . somewhere
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

They'll All Come Back

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    . . . not sure how long 9113601008 has been a Friesinger's but "restoration" is well under way . . .

. . . not clear if the photos of the vin and production number and other parts in reasonable condition
    . . .

Not sure it would matter

I still remember the Toad Hall car . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post897573

I'm just curious who owns 9113601008, now?

Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    I am not sure how long 9113601008 has been a Friesinger's but "restoration" is well under way by looking at this
    It is hard to see properly but it looks like the body shell apart from the roof structure etc was relatively unscathed - but it is not clear if the photos of the vin and production number and other parts in reasonable condition are before or after any major work was done on them
    https://www.freisinger-motorsport.de...ail/10011.html
    Great to see it’s survived,as you say main tub looks good and some of the detail looks right.Interesting no strengthening plates welded in The engine bay corners from the factory!

Name:  lrg-64454-porsche-911-rsr-1008-02-006.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  170.9 KB
    Name:  lrg-64458-porsche-911-rsr-1008-02-013.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  157.9 KB
    Name:  lrg-64457-porsche-911-rsr-1008-02-002.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  86.2 KB
    Name:  lrg-64455-porsche-911-rsr-1008-02-008.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  47.0 KB